A pickup truck is a very useful and practical vehicle, but when it comes to tools rattling around in the bed, there’s nothing practical about that. On top of that, if you ever had to repair your truck, you know that leaving the tools out in the open is very dangerous and highly impractical as well.
Luckily, you don’t need to worry about doing that ever again since there are many types of truck tool boxes you can buy so you can store them safely. If you’ve never bought one before, then it’s safe to say that you may not know too much about what you need to bear in mind before making a purchase.
Best Truck Tool Boxes in 2018
There are also many types of truck tool boxes that you can buy and they all come with different types of features, in different sizes, the materials they’re made of are different, etc. To help you choose, we have taken the time to review the top 10 best truck tool boxes on the market. Let’s take a closer look at them below and see which one meets your needs best.
- 10. Dee Zee 6535P
- 9. Undercover SC400D Black Swing Case Storage Box
- 8. 36-Inch Aluminum Truck Underbody Tool Box
- 7. TMS Aluminum Tool Box
- 6. Better Built 73010911 Crown Series Low Profile Crossover Tool Box
- 5. UWS TBSM36 Side Mount Truck Box
- 4. DeeZee DZ 6160NB
- 3. Buyers Products Poly All-Purpose Chest
- 2. Dee Zee DZ8546SB
- 1. Better Built 73210285 Truck Tool Box
- Truck Tool Boxes- Buyer’s Guide and Tips
10. Dee Zee 6535P
The Dee Zee 6535P is an excellent tool box that has a total amount of available space space of three point six cubic feet. In terms of build quality, you’ll be happy to know that it’s made of highly durable poly plastic and it also features a rectangular design that very much resembles like a chest design. As for the storage box itself, it’s not only very rugged, but at the same time it’s very durable as well.
Unlike other tool boxes, this one will easily resist warping and it also comes with a double walled lid which means that even if you exercise a lot of pressure on it, it’s still going to be very strong. Looking inside, you’ll find two cup holders, two recessed portions and a lot of space to store your tools. The overall depth is about fourteen inches while the height it thirteen inches.
- This tool box has a lot of space so you can store a lot of tools in it.
- Excellent for a large or small SUV (rear storage).
- Double walled lid for extra sturdiness.
- One of the things you won’t like about this toolbox is that the bottom is not a smooth surface.
If you’re looking for a well made and sturdy tool box, then you should consider getting the Dee Zee6535P. Not only is it spacious enough to store a wide range of tools, but it’s also very well built.
9. Undercover SC400D Black Swing Case Storage Box
Have you ever wanted to have a box in which you can store all your tools, including your sporting goods, jumper cables, wrenches, etc? Well, if you’re tired of having your tools rolling around the bed or cab of your truck, then you should consider getting the SC400D storage box. One of the first things you will love about it is the fact that it’s basically the only portable, removable, and swingable storage tool box on the market. You can easily install it to the side of the truck in just a few minutes by using the self tapping tools that ship with it. You can hold up to seventy five lbs of tools in it and for convenience, this box also comes with cup holders.
Your belongings are always safe thanks to the lid at the top which can be easily locked. Thanks to the quick release latch, you can easily swing out to almost one hundred and eighty degrees towards you and then easily access the tailgate. Even more, this case allows for about three inches of clearance above the bed of the truck and on top of that, it seems to work great with tonneau covers, regardless of type.
- Easy to install (takes just 5 minutes).
- Can hold up to seventy five lbs of tools.
- Lockable lid improves security.
- In order to install it, you need to cut out the bed liner.
For those who want to get their hands on a sturdy tool box that can easily accommodate up to seventy five lbs of tools and is also lockable, the SC400D is the best choice to consider. It’s not only well built, but also comes at a really great price.
8. 36-Inch Aluminum Truck Underbody Tool Box
If you want to get something that’s a bit more durable and also appealing from a design point of view, then you need to get this aluminum truck tool box. What sets it apart from other tool boxes is that it provides not only more storage space, but at the same time it also aims to save storage space. Even more, it comes with a lock with 2 keys and also features a sealed door that’s weather resistant. For extra security and durability, the hinge is made of heavy duty materials.
- Very well made.
- Weighs just twenty lbs and it’s also quite spacious.
- Great price and top quality welds.
- Some people have argued that this tool box may arrive damaged (the handles may not lock) depending on how it’s shipped and handled.
If looks, but also storage space and proper build quality matter to you, then you need to absolutely get this tool box. Not only is it made of high quality aluminum, but it’s also very light, weighing just twenty lbs!
7. TMS Aluminum Tool Box
Made of heavy duty aluminum the TMS tool box is an excellent choice and it can be used with a wide range of vehicles, including trucks, ATVs, cars, trailers, etc. Not only that, but the handles are made of heavy duty aluminum as well, which goes to show that the manufacturer really want to build a rugged product without cutting any corners. The tool box is excellent for gear storage and it comes with a lock and two keys.
- Made of heavy duty aluminum, including the handles.
- Very spacious, allowing you to store a wide range of tools.
- Heavy duty handles.
- Fully welded.
- While the TMS aluminum tool box is made of aluminum, it’s a bit thin and can be easily damaged.
If you want to store your tools in a top quality tool box, then the TMS aluminum tool box should be your number one choice. It’s well made, has plenty of storage space, and it’s light as well.
6. Better Built 73010911 Crown Series Low Profile Crossover Tool Box
If you’re the type of person who only wants to use the best quality products, regardless of type, then you certainly need to check out the Better Built 73010911 tool box. This is one of the best truck tool boxes on the market today and with its low profile design, it offer excellent visibility through your truck’s rear window. Regardless if you have a compact or maybe a full size truck, this tool box will fit it perfectly. You can also get it in a deep and a wedge design depending on the type of items you wish to accommodate.
- Improved security thanks to the handle latch which is also very simple to open.
- Self adjusting strikers.
- Tuba and lid are made of one hundred percent rust resistant aluminum.
- One hundred percent fully welded seams.
The aluminum gage is too thin to the point where if you were to sit on it, it would cause the lid to bend. Getting a top quality tool box is now easier than ever. The 73010911 from Better Built is an excellent example in this regard. Not only is it affordable, but has a great design and it’s also made of high quality aluminum for extra ruggedness.
5. UWS TBSM36 Side Mount Truck Box
The UWS TBSM36 tool box is one of the best you can currently get if you’re looking for a spacious, but also well made tool box that won’t rust after just a few weeks of use. Featuring a durable powder coated finish and made from a single piece of high quality aluminum, the TBSM36 is a seriously well made tool box. Both the steel side mount sand aluminum side mounts feature completely foamed lids, but also secure locking systems and stainless steel handles that will never rust. If you need extra space for your tools, but don’t want to lose bed space, the TBSM36 is the best tool box you can get to achieve that.
- Stainless steel handles are very well made and won’t rust.
- Dual lift struts and top quality steel construction.
- Fully foamed lids (for both the steel and aluminum side mounts).
- While this is indeed a great tool box, you don’t get any mounting hardware shipped with it.
The TBSM36 is an incredible tool box that performs just as great as its impressive design. It’s well made, has enough space, and is compatible with a wide range of trucks. Highly recommended!
4. DeeZee DZ 6160NB
Made of high quality brite tread aluminum, the DZ 6160NB tool box comes with a wide range of impressive features that will certainly make you want to buy it right away. Some of these include the closed cell foam gasket, dampened gas shocks, push button handles (which also be locked), but also self adjusting strikers. Unlike with other tool boxes, you do get mounting hardware shipped with it as well. Overall, it’s perfect for trucks where you want to make the most of your available space.
- Three piece body and internal bends improve durability.
- Narrow design allows you to save space.
- Paddle handle latches are lockable and made of stainless steel.
- A few of those who bought this tool box said that it’s cheaply made.
The DZ 6160NB is a seriously well made tool box. You won’t need to worry about it rusting and on top of that, its design makes it perfect to use it in trucks where space is at a premium.
3. Buyers Products Poly All-Purpose Chest
Featuring build in carrying handles which make lifting it a breeze and featuring a double wall lid to improve security and ruggedness, it’s easy to realize that great build quality is the hallmark of this tool box. In total, the Poly has a capacity of six point three cubic feet and unlike other boxes, it comes with a top opening lid that features 2 zinc hasps. Given the fact that it’s made of rotationally molded material, you don’t need to worry about it denting or rusting.
- Low profile and large capacity chest.
- Made of high density and heavy duty molded polyethylene (black).
- The top opening lid features 2 zinc hasps.
- For this price, you can get a better quality chest.
The Poly tool box does have a mean look, but the truth is that it does deliver in terms of storage capacity and build quality. As many reviewers have said, once you use it, you won’t go back to using other tool boxes.
2. Dee Zee DZ8546SB
The DZ8546SB from Dee Zee is one of the few if not the only one on our list that is made of high quality stainless steel (heavy duty). In order to prevent it from rusting, Dee Zee applied a special black coating on it with NRT. For extra rigidity, the tool box comes with a crown style lid with a double V stiffener (full pan). Other features you’ll love about it include the self adjusting strikers, closed cell foam gasket, but also dampened gas shocks, and steel paddle handles.
- Twenty gauge steel build quality.
- Weather sealed thanks to the closed cell foam gasket.
- Special NRT finish prevents the box from rusting.
- Be sure to check whether this will fit your car, unless you want to go through the hassle of returning it.
The Dee Zee DZ8546SB is one of the top tool boxes you can currently buy. It’s well made, won’t rust, and it won’t dent your wallet as well. What more can you ask for?
1. Better Built 73210285 Truck Tool Box
The 73210285 tool box from Better Built is hands down the best tool box you can currently get. Unlike other tool boxes out there, you can choose whether you want to get this in steel or aluminum. The case can also be powder coated in white or black, based on your needs. For storing larger items, you can also get it in a deep tub design.
- Available in both steel and aluminum.
- Reinforced lid brace.
- Fully welded seams.
- Optional tub design is available which is useful if you want to store larger items.
- Self-adjusting strikers.
- As you can tell, this is heavy and it’s also quite expensive.
The 73210285 is by far the best tool box you can currently buy. It’s extremely well made out of a single piece of material, it’s very spacious, and also comes with a wide range of features that make using it a breeze.
Buying a tool box for your truck can be quite difficult when you don’t know what to consider prior to making a purchase. We hope that our reviews have addressed some of the things that you need to be on the lookout for prior to getting yours. Enjoy using your brand new tool box!
Truck Tool Boxes- Buyer’s Guide and Tips
So many things can happen while you’re driving your truck, and the last thing you want is to be unprepared for emergencies. This is why you should never leave home without a tool box in the backseat of your vehicle to spare yourself from getting stranded on the road. Choosing the right type of tool box is important to make sure you get just the right one you need without causing damages to your vehicle’s interior.
Say you have a work truck, and it looks pretty much like the others without a covered space for storing your tools. In this case, you should invest in a quality tool box that could be very useful for your work, supposing you’re a handyman or any similar job. You can also use this storage for your emergency items or even some groceries instead of leaving them lying around on the back of your vehicle.
Considering the multiple uses of a tool box, let’s take a look at the following features to help you choose among your options.
- Sturdy and Secure: What’s the point of getting a tool box, if it is not even durable? When searching of a truck tool box, go for one that is well-made and secure. A heavy box made from superior quality metal is a solid bet, one that cannot be cracked open even with a crowbar. Not to mention the fact that the box is very heavy, and no thief would bother detaching and carrying it away. Also, if you can find a box with a rotary latch system, this is much better since no tools can be used to force it open.
- Durable: Tool boxes have different designs, but all of them are basically made from similar materials such as stainless steel, aluminum, and steel. The question is, which among these materials is the best?
- Although aluminum is lightweight, you’ll be surprised about how lightweight it really is. In fact, there are aluminum tool boxes that are much stronger than some steel-made ones, yet they are lighter. The material is also rust-proof, so that makes it less likely to deteriorate quickly. The best news of all? You don’t need to replace the box because it got covered with rust.
- Like we said, tool boxes made of steel are quite heavy, and this gives you an idea about how sturdy they can be. But then, since steel tool boxes usually have a powder coating for the finish designed for rust protection, your box may be prone to corrosion once the coating is scratched off in time.
- If you want to spend a little more, though, stainless steel is an excellent choice because it is more rigid and also corrosion-resistant. So it has the features you can get from aluminum and steel. Yet again, if you live in coastal areas where chemical salts are common, your tool box still runs the risk of corroding and prone to damages.
- Style: There are crossover and side-mounted tool boxes available in the market, and your choice depends on how you prefer the box to sit in your truck. With a crossover tool box, are mounted on the truck’s bed rails. This offers more space underneath whenever you need to haul some goods such as lumber and metal rods.
- As for a side mounted tool box, it faces outwards and spares you from having to reach over your truck’s side just to gain an access to it. There also no hopping in and out of your truck’s bed, thus making it perfect whenever switching tools all day because of the convenience that this style offers.
Lastly, think about the size you need and your budget. Invest in a quality toolbox while considering the price you are willing to pay. Be sure it has a sufficient amount of space you need and try to stick to your budget as much as you can without compromising the quality of your purchased item.