Perhaps you have seen some cars on TV with dashboard cameras, particularly police cars in the act of chasing criminals or suspicious characters on the road. In fact, some drivers choose to install dashboard cameras as a way to qualify for a cheaper insurance premium. This is why aside from the benefit of increasing your safety, you can also lower the cost of the premium from your insurance policy. And for these reasons, we are here to help you with the buying process by presenting these top 10 best car dash cams in 2019 reviews & buyer’s guide. Here, you can find our recommended products under this category, along with helpful tips when purchasing a dash cam for your car.
Basically, a dash cam is a type of video camera that is mounted on the dashboard or mounted on your vehicle’s windshield. These devices are capable of recording audio and video while you are driving. There are forward-facing cameras, but a number of new models have dual lens, which means these can capture the back and front images. When it comes to buying a dash cam, you should look for one with an auto stop and auto start feature. This way, it should be able to record once it is plugged in the cigarette lighter adapter of the car or when it’s hard wired. In addition, it may be worth considering a camera with a cycle or continuous looping function. This way, it can delete your oldest file to continue the recording of new videos upon filling up the memory card.
Best Car Dash Cams in 2019
Whether you are looking to buy a dash cam for reporting to authorities bad drivers, or to protect your vehicle, or to capture videos of a vehicular accident to inform your insurance company, then you should find some useful tips and top-rated products in this post. Read along to learn about the items we recommend including the features, benefits, and limitations of each.
- 10.KDLINKS X1 1920 x 1080 165 Degree Wide Angle Full-HD Dash Camera Recorder
- 9.OldShark 3-Inch Dash Cam 1080P 170-Degree Wide Angle with 32GB Card
- 8.AUBBC Dash Cam Full HD 1080P with 16GB Micro SD Memory Card
- 7.Vantrue R2 2K HD Car Dash Cam with 2.7-Inch LCD and 170-Degree Wide Angle Lens
- 6.Z-Edge Z3 2K Ultra HD 1296P 2560×1080 Dash Cam with 32 GB Memory Card
- 5.Vantrue N2 1080P Dual Car Dash Cam
- 4.TaoTronics HD 1080P Car Dash Cam Wide Angle 2.7-Inch Screen with G Sensor
- 3.ITrue X3 2.7-Inch Car Dash Cam 1080P 170-Degree Angle with 8 GB Memory Card and Night Vision
- 2.Rexing V1 2.4-Inch Car Dash Cam 1080P G Sensor, Loop Recording, and Sony Exmor Vid Sensor
- 1.LEVIN Discreet Design Dash Cam with High Temp Resistance and 1080P Full HD
- Car Dashboard Camera Buying Guide and Tips
10.KDLINKS X1 1920 x 1080 165 Degree Wide Angle Full-HD Dash Camera Recorder
If you want to get the double benefit of reducing your insurance costs and safeguarding your vehicle, then this KDLINKS dash cam should be perfect for your needs. At the same time, you can expect to receive a good price for this device considering all the features that it offers to add a true value for your money. With this dash cam, you can begin the recording once you turn the ignition on, which takes the stress out in having to look for the “on” or “off” button. There is also a night mode function that ensures the quality of your recording even if the lighting is not good. With the WDR system of this device, you can be sure that every detail remains crystal clear, thanks to the excellent F1.6 camera lens. Overall, this is a great camera with 30fps that’s a sweet spot when it comes to flawless videos while keeping the memory card space within reasonable size.
If there is one thing that is not quite ideal about this camera, it would be the design. It comes with a silver colored ring around its lens, which makes it not as stealthy as how you want it to be. This is why it is difficult to cover it up once you drive whether at night or day. But as for the functions , this camera deserves two thumbs up because of its impeccable build and performance.
- It is a compact camera with an external GPS antenna.
- You can record efficiently your speed because of the GPS feature.
- The night videos are as impressive as the ones taken during daytime.
- Although the case is black, the lens has a silver ring that reduces its stealthiness.
9.OldShark 3-Inch Dash Cam 1080P 170-Degree Wide Angle with 32GB Card
Using this dash cam, you can expect nothing but remarkable results because of the HD resolution that it provides and its ability to record a video with 1920×1080 P resolution at 30 fps. You can count on this device to give you a clear evidence in video format to your insurance company or the police, as the need arises. Set up is a breeze with this dash cam since it turns on and off automatically. Once you start the engine, the recording begins. At the same time, it stops capturing videos when the engine is off. Mounting this camera is also seamless as you can easily mount it to your windshield, then connect the power cable, and the device will work when you turn the ignition on. The lens also has a super wide angle at 170 degrees, so you don’t miss a thing with this device. There is an infrared light built right into the unit, along with external lights that can produce you with a clear and crisp night video recording even with dim light conditions.
Some product users find it a little perplexing to understand the design of the camera. The battery is not intended to operate the device, but it’s intended to catch loops once you have shut the engine off. Unfortunately, the cable is too long that it may take some time to figure out a technique to keep it out of the way. There are those who tape the cable to the interior of their car, while some just let this hang down. But these options do not help with the appearance of your vehicle, aside from the inconvenience of dealing with a hanging cable. Moreover, the instructions are not too clear, so it may not be too appealing for those who rely on the manual’s step by step procedure when it comes to setting up and troubleshooting the device.
- The images are very clear because of the ultra HD quality video you can record using this dash cam.
- Even if you record videos at night, the quality is still great, thanks to the IR light built right into the unit.
- There is a G-Sensor to this dash cam for capturing and locking evidences when there is a crash or collision detected by the device.
- This camera has intelligent features including the parking monitor, SOS lock, instant playback, motion detection, loop recording, timestamp, and the WDR.
- There are no clear instructions included in this device.
- It is not recommended to keep the camera in the car when the ignition is off and it is very hot outside.
8.AUBBC Dash Cam Full HD 1080P with 16GB Micro SD Memory Card
This is a brilliant dash cam loaded with basic, but essential features to ensure your convenience and satisfaction in using it for your recordings. For the most part, it is easy to install, set up, and use. You can mount it on your windshield using the attachments included, and it should not take long until you get it ready for your video recording needs. The size of this device is just right for your needs. It is small and can be concealed without a problem, so others will not be aware of this device in your vehicle. Even with its compact size, you can expect it to record excellent audio and video all the time. There is a 32 GB TF memory card that is included in the package, which is sufficient enough to hold as much as 3 hours of your video recording. As for the video quality, it is amazing when you view it on your computer. Even the license plate is readable, so this should help when you need to report incidences to the police or your insurance company. The lens comes with wide angle and high resolution at 140 degrees, and there is a 2.31-inch LCD to make sure the device captures everything you want to record. Among the other features you will love include the G-sensor, motion detection, and the loop recording that performs seamlessly.
While this camera has a lot of impressive features, there are a few limitations to this device. The night vision is not quite outstanding, even with the presence of a light on the camera’s front portion. The size of this light is too small, so the quality of night videos may not be as how you want it to be. There is a mount included, but it seems to need additional glue just to make sure it stays put on your windshield.
- There is an adjustable 360-degree mount that lets you point the camera in any direction as you wish.
- You can quickly adjust the setting of the quality for the photo or video recording options.
- The resolution is amazing at 1080p, which has a positive impact on the recorded images or videos.
- It is ideal to remove the device when the temperatures are too high or too low to prevent damages to it.
- There is a short battery life to this camera, which may not make it capable of recording long videos.
- The night vision needs some improvement as it is not of the finest quality.
7.Vantrue R2 2K HD Car Dash Cam with 2.7-Inch LCD and 170-Degree Wide Angle Lens
Another high performance dash cam for vehicles, the Vantrue R2 HD camera can capture 2560 x 1080P and 2304 x 1296P resolution of videos at 30 fps, with a lifelike quality that does not disappoint. What’s more, even the night vision is superb as there is a built-in sensor that enhances every video recorded when the lighting is dim or poor. As there is a 170-degree wide angle for the lens, it is capable of recording the front and side images without much distortion to the recorded videos. This camera also comes with a G-Sensor that can auto lock your videos with every detected impact. To keep your recorded videos secure and organized, there is an Event Folder for all of your event videos. This way, you can quickly review them without any hassle. It’s also great that you can record anything the comes close to your car using the Parking Mode, which the motion detector triggers to function. With all of these features, as well as the super strong suction of the mounting component, the dash cam can stick to the windshield securely all the time. You can also make use of the USB port found on the mount for hiding the wire and keep the connections mess-free.
There are two things that are worth looking into before buying this device to ensure your total satisfaction. One, the mount does not include a GPS, which is a bit of a let-down since others have this feature without another mount necessary. Also, the company has no web presence. This makes it tough to contact them for your concerns or inquiries.
- Installation and set up is effortless and quick.
- Even if the cable is long, it is easy to hide it under the dashboard.
- Whether you capture images at day or night, the quality is always superb.
- It is a breeze to navigate around the menu system, and there is a clear manual that comes with this package.
- Lack of GPS function unless there is a separate mount.
- No website for the company, which can be a drawback for those who wish to find additional information about the product or to contact them for assistance.
6.Z-Edge Z3 2K Ultra HD 1296P 2560×1080 Dash Cam with 32 GB Memory Card
If what you want is a reliable dash cam for your vehicle, then this Z-Edge Z3 camera is your best bet. It offers an automatic operation with all the basic features that you need including the ultra HD quality that can record super HD 2560 x 1080P resolution at 30 fps. The lens is broad and wide with a field of view of 145 degree angle, so you can capture every single detail whenever you zoom in while avoiding excess distortion. The minute you turn the ignition on, the camera records in an instant, and it turns off when the vehicle’s engine is off. You will also like the LCD screen with energy-saving features, as well as the other important functions such as the built in G-sensor, video deletion protection (manual and automatic), parking mode, and the accelerometer that can detect crash while you are recording. Lastly, the CMOS image sensor with processor lets you capture every detail clearly even when taken from a distance.
As for the negatives of this product, you may want to check the suction cup mount that fails to stay put for a long time. The size of the cam is a little big, which makes it a little tough to hide when installed on the windshield. There is also no GPS in this unit, so it may be a problem if this is a feature that matters to you.
- You will appreciate the great video quality and clarity of the recording even if done at night or day.
- The cam uses a standard screw mount, so you have the option to use another mount depending on your preference.
- As this is a 2K dash cam, the view is fairly wide and perfect for the purpose it’s intended for.
- The mount is tall and may interfere with your visibility while driving.
- There is a possibility for the cam to rotate while on the mount because of the screw mechanism that has a design preventing it from being tightened fully.
5.Vantrue N2 1080P Dual Car Dash Cam
When it comes to a car dash cam that’s loaded with so many features, this product is a true contender. It is a dual dashboard camera, which means it can simultaneously record front and back images in an impressive HD video. The resolution is superb at 1920 x 1080 for the front cam for videos at 30 fps. If the lighting is poor or during night time, the video quality remains excellent due to the IR light built into the device’s front cam. You can capture so much from this camera with its near 360-degree solution with 170-degree wide angles and an interior 140-degree without much fish eye distortion to worry about. As for the rear camera, you can adjust it to 80 degrees vertically to give you an outstanding view all the time. In case there is a crash or collision, this cam has a G-Sensor with auto-collision detector. This is why video files remain locked in after an impact, and you can activate using the auto or manual locking option. In case the memory card gets full, the loop recording automatically overwrites all of your oldest footage with the new ones.
There are some people who complain about their recorded videos jumping slightly or flickering at times, but it could be due to the old version of the SD card used. Otherwise, if you use a high quality card, the outcome of your recording should be crystal clear without these distortions.
- This is a small but intelligent dash cam with a front and back-facing feature all in a single unit.
- The wide angles can record impressive videos without too much distortion.
- The LCD turns off automatically to prevent you from being distracted during recording.
- The use of low-quality SD cards can have an impact on the recorded videos’ sharpness and distortion level.
4.TaoTronics HD 1080P Car Dash Cam Wide Angle 2.7-Inch Screen with G Sensor
This dash cam from TaoTronics boasts of its HD quality recording capacities at 1920 x 1080P video resolution at 30 fps. It features a 150-degree wide angle without any distortion and exceptional night vision lens with a wide dynamic range. With the loop recording, the camera begins recording once you start your car. Whenever an accident occurs, the camera detects it right away using the G-Sensor, and the data get locked to prevent them from being overwritten. With just a single click, you can either mute or lock the videos. This is truly one intelligent camera that makes sure all of your video footage turns out professional looking. You should never have a problem using this camera because of its automatic features such as when starting or stopping the recording, locking the recording (also can be activated manually), and the delay function for the auto start (can be delayed in increments of 10 seconds).
Experimenting with where you plan on mounting the camera may be necessary since the right height must be obtained to prevent any obstruction to your view. The rotating feature of the camera is also great when you want to record your selfie videos. However, this is not a very useful feature when the lighting is poor or completely dark because there is no lighting built in to this device.
- The resolution is superb, particularly when you playback your recording on your TV or computer.
- There are great features included such as the timestamp, video quality settings, and the loop recording.
- This product includes a 32 GB memory card that is a great value for your money.
- There is no built in LED light to the unit, so it’s impossible to take excellent selfie videos when there is zero light in the car.
3.ITrue X3 2.7-Inch Car Dash Cam 1080P 170-Degree Angle with 8 GB Memory Card and Night Vision
A good car dashboard camera that you can use for safeguarding your vehicle or preventing massive insurance fees, the iTrue X3 comes with impressive features to keep you satisfied with your purchase. It has a G-Sensor that locks the current video files when there is an accident, so all the recording remains secure. The 170-degree wide angle for the lens can capture full HD quality video at 1929 x 1080 resolution at 30 fps, and there’s an automatic on and off function when you start your engine. The functions can be activated automatically and hands-free for your convenience. If you wish to record videos at night, you may do so because of the WDR and 6 layers of glass lens. Aesthetically, you will love the leather style exterior of this camera instead of the plastic black case found in other options.
There are a few things to know about this dash cam to ensure your ease of use. For instance, you need to set the motion detection to off when you are recording as you drive to prevent you from having to stop recording randomly. The battery is also designed just for saving files during emergency, which is why connecting to the external power is recommended while you are using the camera.
- The quality resolution of this camera is impressive, making it capable of capturing clear videos.
- There is a stylish design for the unit instead of the plain plastic material with some cameras.
- You can start this camera automatically the instant you turn the engine on.
- Some people had a problem with the motion detection function as it took them a while to exit this mode since there is no information in the manual.
- You need to keep the camera connected to the external power when in use.
2.Rexing V1 2.4-Inch Car Dash Cam 1080P G Sensor, Loop Recording, and Sony Exmor Vid Sensor
Recording videos using this car dash cam is simple and effortless as it can capture images and turn these into clear videos all the time. There is a wide dynamic range that enables the camera from functioning well even in dim light conditions. This feature adjusts automatically to the camera’s exposure, which results to balanced footage and images. It also mounts to your windshield without a problem, and it remains concealed from the exterior part of the car. With other features such as the auto detection accident feature or G-Sensor, super wide lens, full HD recording, and WDR, you can be sure that all recorded items are of the finest quality at all time while giving you the ease of usage for an outstanding value for your dollar.
As for the limitations, this camera works great in recording daytime images in clear and crisp quality. However, the night time recordings are just mediocre. The battery could also use some improvement since it can only last for a few minutes.
- Record full HD quality videos all the time to make sure you don’t miss a thing.
- The WDR adjusts the settings of your camera automatically to achieve a pristine image no matter what the environment.
- There is more video that you can capture because of the wide angle 170-degree lens.
- Not the best night time video recording quality.
- It would be better if the battery can last longer.
1.LEVIN Discreet Design Dash Cam with High Temp Resistance and 1080P Full HD
In terms of the aesthetics, design, and function of this dash cam, you will agree that this product truly deserves to be at the top stop in this list. The LEVIN dash cam for cars comes with a wedge-shaped discreet design that makes it less obvious once mounted on the windshield. There is a capacitor power that resists overheating when you leave it in the car under the heat of the sun. As for the recorded images, the resolution is outstanding as it can capture full HD videos due to the smooth imaging processing,high quality lens, and the 1080P HD video compression. Night time recordings are also great because of the WDR function built right into the unit.
This is quite a small dash cam, but it allows the unit to be easily attached to the windshield with just a piece of tape. But be careful about using tape since the adhesive portion is white, thus defeating the purpose of keeping the device concealed.
- There is a wide field of view at 170 degrees to capture more images without impacting the video quality.
- Videos recorded at night remain clear and distinct, thanks to the WDR function.
- You can tilt the lens up and down without a problem.
- The camera is a little too small for some people.
- There are those who complain about the less-than-perfect video quality of the camera right out of the box, but this can be improved by working with the settings.
Car Dashboard Camera Buying Guide and Tips
There are numerous options available in stores when it comes to car dash cams, which can make the selection and buying process a little tricky. However, by having a clear understanding of features to look for, you can get yourself an excellent quality dash cam that will match your needs and standards.
1. Check the video quality.
Make it a point to check the camera’s video quality as this is the most important aspect to look for in this device. Go for one that can shoot in HD such as 720P or even 1080P. While the price may be a steeper the higher the resolution, you will never be disappointed when you opt for full HD dash cams. The night videos should also be clear, which is why it makes sense to check sample videos as the device should be capable of capturing clear images even when the lighting is poor.
2. How discreet is the camera?
Naturally, you want to be sure the camera is not obvious while attached to the car’s windshield. A small camera with a black color is a great choice since aside from the ease in mounting just behind your rear view mirror, the color will allow the device to blend well. Although there may not be any screen on small cams, this should not be a problem as long as it can capture great videos stealthily.
3. Do you need LED lights?
There are some dash cams for cars with LED lights. While these are often advertised to improve the quality of night recording, the low power is not sufficient to make this happen. In fact, there are those who worry about the extra glare the lights tend to cause from your windshield. This is why those who have a dash cam with LEDs just keep the lights off to prevent these issues.
4. Choose a camera that is highly reliable
A great dashboard camera is reliable, which means all the functions are working perfectly. Opt for a device with guaranteed performance, which means no blurry images, zero jumping or hanging during the recording, and with a capability to withstand very high or very low temperatures.
5. Good length of the power adapter
Installing the wire of the cam around the windshield is much easier if the power adapter has a length of 3.5 meters or even greater. Otherwise, you’ll be stuck with having to leave it straight down, which can get in your way or create an eye sore inside your car.
We hope that we were able to help you select the best car dash cam for your needs. Please feel free to go back to our list to compare each item featured and be sure to check the important aspects to look for when buying a dash cam that will match up to your expectations.