For both experienced and new drivers on the road, jump starters are one of the most important items to have in your trunk. There are two categories of jump starters:
Standard jump starters: Standard jump starters are small and light, which makes them ideal for situations that you require an extra kick to boost your battery before self-charge.
Battery charger jump starters: This type comes with an inbuilt charger that not only restarts your car but also partially recharges the battery.
Unlike jumper cables, jump starters are more popular with motorists since drivers don’t have to rely on other motorists to get them up and running again. There are factors to consider when shopping for the best jump starter. Before delving into the best jump starters currently available in the market, here is an outline of factors to consider when shopping for the most suitable choice.
- Durability: Jump starters are often used in bad weather conditions and stored in rugged places such as trunks and garages. The best jump starter should be tough and able to serve you longer.
- Features: The most preferred jump starters are those that come with a broad range of useful features such as ease of storage, portability, emergency lights, and extra ports for charging electronic devices.
- Ease of use: Users prefer jump starters that are easy to understand and use.
- Charge: The best jump starters are quick to charge and slow to discharge.
Best Car Jump Starters in 2019
Without further ado, below are the top 10 Best Car Jump Starters in 2019 reviews.
- 10. GOOLOO 450A Peak Portable Car Jump Starter
- 9. GOOLOO 600A Peak Portable Car Jump Starter
- 8. DBPOWER 600A Peak 18000mAh Portable Car Jump Starter
- 7. [Ultra Compact] DBPOWER 300A Peak 8000mAh Portable Car Jump Starter
- 6. NOCO Genius Boost plus GB40 1000 Amp 12V Ultra Safe Lithium Jump Starter
- 5. [Ultra Compact] Anker Compact Car Jump Starter
- 4. PowerAll PBJS12000R Rosso Red/Black Portable Power Bank and Car Jump Starter
- 3. Antigravity Batteries AG-XP-10 Multi-Function Power Supply and Jump Starter
- 2. Stanley JC509 1000 Peak Amp Jump Starter with Compressor
- 1. Jump-N-Carry JNC660 1700 Peak Amp 12-Volt Jump Starter
10. GOOLOO 450A Peak Portable Car Jump Starter
With an actual battery capacity of 10000mAh, the GOOLOO 450A jump starter can jump start a 3.5L gas engine 20 times using 450A peak current. The high battery capacity means you can adequately charge a broad range of devices, including phones, tablets, and other devices at a speed of up to two amps. It features an Ultra-bright LED flashlight that has a torch, SOS, and strobe signals. With an intense beam and large lens size, you are guaranteed to have sufficient light in case you need to inspect your engine, replace a tire, or signal other drivers to get help when your car has stalled.
It comes with spark-resistant clamps and a reverse polarity warning system that detects when your connections are not correctly done. The full protection system ensures you are protected from short circuits, over current, over-voltage, overcharge, and overload. The package includes jumper cables, a user manual, and 18-month warranty.
- Features several ports that you can use to charge a variety of devices
- Comes with a free USB to micro, 30pin charge cable, and ultra-bright lighting
- Plastic clamps melting when overused
9. GOOLOO 600A Peak Portable Car Jump Starter
The GOOLOO 600A is a portable jump starter with a battery capacity of 15000mAh. With 600 peak amp current, you are guaranteed enough power to jump start your vehicles, tractors, motorcycles, boats, light trucks, cargo vans, and much more. With its capacity, you can jump start up to 6.5L gas engines or 5.0L diesel engines up to 30 times when fully charged.
It comes with a dual USB charger able to charge your phones, tablets, and other mobile devices at an overall speed of 2.1 per port. It offers safety protection, with clamps that are protected from over current, short circuit, over-voltage, overload, and overcharge. With it, you also get intelligent jumper cables, wall charger, car charger, user manual, and 18- month warranty.
- Powerful and compact
- Able to jump start even larger engines
- Fast charging of most electronic devices
- None noted
8. DBPOWER 600A Peak 18000mAh Portable Car Jump Starter
The DBPOWER 600A 18000mAh jump starter is one of the most powerful and compact jump starters available in the market. With it, you can jump start 6.5L gas and 5.2L diesel engines 30 times using 600 amps peak current. Despite its heavy duty clamps and cables, it is compact and portable. With a charging port of 18000mAh, a smart USB port, and 8-in-1 laptop adapters, you are guaranteed to charge your laptop, smartphone, tablet and many other devices at the fastest speed possible.
A new addition is the LCD screen and compass which shows power consumption with precision. In the event you get lost in the wild, you can be certain to find your way home using the compass. The equipment comes with jump cables, 12V car charger, 12V wall charger, and 3-year warranty.
- 3-year warranty
- Very safe and easy to use
- Great features (LCD screen and compass)
- Lightweight, compact and easy to store
- 12V power port
- Relatively pricey
- Limited power
- Clamps are not of the best quality
7. [Ultra Compact] DBPOWER 300A Peak 8000mAh Portable Car Jump Starter
With the DBPOWER 300A Peak 8000mAh Portable Car Jump Starter, you can be able to jump start a 2.5L gas engine 20 times using 300 amps of peak current and heavy duty clamps. It comes with a powerful power bank of 8000mAh capacity. With it, you have enough power to charge phones, tablets, and other devices at overall speeds of up to 2.1 amps. The power bank can be recharged using the USB charger in just five hours.
It comes with an inbuilt LED flashlight that has three modes. As a safety precaution, the crocodile clamps are made with over current protection, overload protection, short circuit protection, overload protection, and over-charge protection. With it, you get a DBPOWER Jump Starter DJS40 and jumper cables, Android USB cable, and 3-year warranty.
- Easy to use
- Features an audible alarm
- The air compressor has a short life-span when overused
6. NOCO Genius Boost plus GB40 1000 Amp 12V Ultra Safe Lithium Jump Starter
This is a compact and powerful lithium jump starter that is rated at 1,000 amps capable of powering up to 20 jump starts when fully charged. It comes in a mistake-proof design. The spark-proof technology featured ensures safety when using the equipment. It has reverse polarity protection, which ensures you can safely connect it to your battery regardless of type.
It features an ultra-bright 100 LED flashlight that has seven light modes including emergency strobe and SOS. With it, you can conveniently recharge a range of devices, including smartphones, e-watches, tablets, and much more. It is designed for diesel engines of up to three liters and gas engines of up to six liters, lawn mowers, boats, and much more.
- Includes reverse polarity protection
- Provides 20 jump starts
- Relatively costly
- Not very durable
5. [Ultra Compact] Anker Compact Car Jump Starter
Fitted with a 10000mAh battery that recharges in under three hours, the Anker Compact Car jump starter has the capacity to jump start 12V, 3L gas and 2.5L diesel engines up to 15 times with a peak current of 400 amps. It has advanced safety precaution measures for short circuits, reverse polarity, and power surges.
With a weight of only two pounds and dimensions of 9.4 x 4.9 x 3.9, it is one of the lightest options, compact, and small enough to fit in your glove box. The ultra-compact Anker advantage comes with a portable charger, 15V wall charger, jumper cables, 15V car charger, a guide, and 18-month warranty.
- Very reliable after sales service
- Easy to use
- Compact in size, which makes it convenient
- Offers only 15 jump starts
4. PowerAll PBJS12000R Rosso Red/Black Portable Power Bank and Car Jump Starter
The PBJS12000R is a 400 Peak amp jump starter and portable power bank that is equipped with anti-voltage feedback prevention, a 12, 000mAh battery, a dual USB charging system and an ultra-bright LED flashlight.
It comes with a portable battery charger together with charging adapters for a range of electronic devices. The jump starter has a very compact design and can jump start a car up to 20 times when fully charged.
- It offers impressive power supply in a compact package
- Easy to operate
- Includes many great features
- Good value for money
- It does not come with a carrying case
- Possibility of plastic clamps melting when overused
- The cable plug-in requires a better flap
- Dim LED status lights
3. Antigravity Batteries AG-XP-10 Multi-Function Power Supply and Jump Starter
The XP-10 multi-function power supply can jump start up to 7.3L. It has a large 18,000 mAh capacity that offers more flexibility, as it can also power and charge an array of electronics including 12V devices, 19V laptops, and 5V USB devices. It comes with an inbuilt LED flashlight that can produce an ultra-bright beam with two flash patterns. The starter weighs only 18 oZ, which makes it one of the lightest, compact, and portable jump starters.
Unlike most models, the XP-10 is built to meet starting problems of diesel engines, as well as gasoline engine trucks, cars, motorsport vehicles, and motorcycles. Its large power capacity implies you can be able to jump start more times without having to recharge while storing extra power for charging portable electronic devices. With an integrated battery capacity indicator that turns on at the switch of a button, a built-in over-discharge and over-charge protection, a spark-proof and mini jumper clamps that are reverse-polarity protected, this model is arguably the safest option.
Additionally, the manufacturer has included a black universal cable which comes with eight detachable tips that can fit different electronic devices such as Dell, Acer, Asus, HP, and much more. Also included is a 4-in-1 white universal USB cable that can handle a range of devices such as eReaders, smartphones, tablets, GPS, and PSPs. It comes with a leather carrying case, a home charger, and a mobile charger that can be plugged into a vehicle power port.
- A lightweight tool that is compatible with many applications
- Powerful and reliable power supply
- Excellent safety features
- Large battery power in a very compact size
- Jump cables are a bit too short
2. Stanley JC509 1000 Peak Amp Jump Starter with Compressor
This is a versatile jump starter that can work with a wide range of vehicles including cars, motorbikes, trucks, boats, trucks and RV. At peak level, it can supply up to 1000-amp power. It comes with several safety features that include a polarity alarm, power indicator, and safety cables. The polarity signal employs audible and visual warnings to warn users when the jumper cable is hooked improperly. The user can also tell charge and power status using the power indicator, a feature that also indicates when the vehicle is overcharging. Also provided are metal built clamps in a heavy-duty structure and number-6 AWG gauge cables.
A fantastic addition to this gadget is that it comes with a tire inflator. It has a built in 120 PSI air compressor which can be of great help in case you get a flat tire. The air compressor comes with a SureFit nozzle with a brass tip, ensuring you have a safe connection. Despite a considerable weight of 18lbs, the device is portable and very user-friendly. The handle molded with rubber, which makes it comfortable to carry around. Additionally, the device comes with USB outlets of 12-volt capacity, making it possible to charge your phone, MP3, camera, or tablet. The device is fitted with a built-in ultra-bright lighting tool that can rotate 270-degrees.
- Can jump start a range of vehicles including cars, trucks, motorcycles, tractors and boats
- Can be used to inflate tires
- Comes with ports to charge electronic accessories
- Built-in ultra-bright light
- Safer to use
- Occupies more space because of its bulk size
- Air compressor easily depleted when overused
- Contains hazardous chemicals
1. Jump-N-Carry JNC660 1700 Peak Amp 12-Volt Jump Starter
With a starting power of 1700 peak amps and 425 cranking amps, JNC660 Jump-N-Carry Jump Starter is probably the most powerful portable car battery charger in its range. It has a built-in battery designed specifically for emergency jump start applications. The battery offers a combination of power density and durability, giving it exceptional cranking power.
In case your require power while traveling, it comes with a built-in AC charger located at the front of the device, and a DC outlet that can enable you to charge 12-volt accessories. With a weight of only 18 pounds, the device is easy to carry and store. This jump starter comes with a 1-year warranty. Also included by the manufacturer is a coupon that you can use once in case the warranty expires and fixed-cost repair.
- Has a combination of great features such as starting power of 1700 peak amps and inbuilt battery with the ability to jump start a broad range of vehicles, even from industrial and marine environments.
- Has an excellent overcharge protection
- It is rugged and heavy
- Able to hold charge for long periods
- It can be used to power DC devices
- Faster jump starting
- High-quality inbuilt booster
- Reliable jump starting for emergency purposes
- A bit too pricey in consideration of the fact that it lacks other options such as air compressor
- AC inverter Device is unstable and tips over easily
- Charge indicators are a bit confusing
- Lacks an on/off switch
- The cables are too short
The jump starters reviewed above are rated as equally reliable and effective. The determining factor is the purpose you want to use it for and the price you are able and willing to pay. This guide has narrowed down the best options currently available in the market, and your choice squarely depends on your needs and budget.