Anybody who has a GoPro knows that this little gadget is a very cool way to get great pictures when you’re on the go. However, they may also produce images that are shaky or blurry in some situations. The solutions are to get a gimbal – a stabilizing device – to steady your GoPro and get the best footage possible. There are plenty of gimbals available, so the trick is to choose the one that is best suited for you, your camera, and your particular photography needs.
With that in mind, we’ve compiled a list of the 10 best GoPro gimbals available. Whatever your price range and individual needs, you’re sure to find one that works for you.
What to Look for in a GoPro Gimbal ?
Let’s start by talking about some of the features and benefits you may want to look for before you buy a GoPro gimbal. It’s important to have some baseline information to help you judge the products that are available.
First of all, most GoPro gimbals use a three-axis system to provide maximum stability. That does tend to make them a bit more expensive than other gimbals on the market, but the additional price is offset by their versatility.
Here are some other things to keep in mind as you read our reviews:
- The size of your camera is an important consideration, particularly if you are planning on shooting on difficult terrain. Pay close attention to size limitations before you make a choice about which gimbal to buy.
- Another key concern is the handle of the gimbal. You’re going to be holding on to it a lot, so it’s important to choose wisely. There are two basic things to consider:
- The length of the handle may be long or short, and it’s a matter of personal preference which one you choose
- The grip of the handle may be made of rubber, foam, or plastic. Each has its merits so again, this is a matter of personal preference
- It’s a good idea to consider how you will mount your GoPro to the gimbal. There are different mounting systems and you should choose the one that best suits your needs.
The final consideration here is your budget. The gimbals on our list range from reasonable to expensive, and you’ll have to decide where your budgetary line in the sand is. Now, here are our picks for the 10 best GoPro gimbals available.
Last update on 2020-01-20 / Affiliate links / Price / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
10. Feiyu Tech G4-QD Quick Dismantling 3-Axis Gimbal
The first gimbal on our list is the Feiyu Tech G4-QD Quick Dismantling 3-Axis Gimbal for GoPro Hero3, 3+ 4 and similar shaped action cameras. Here are some of the reasons it makes our list:
- Fits the GoPro as well as other action cameras from 33 mm to 46 mm tall
- Quick disbursement features makes this gimbal easy to attach
- 320 Degree Pan/Tilt Rotation, 100 Degree Roll Rotation allows for wide coverage
There are a few things that might be better about this gimbal. For example:
- The software installation is a bit complicated and may be frustrating for some
- The motor is a little louder than we would like it to be
- The horizon may tilt during panning
We like the versatility of this model, but the software installation process could definitely use improvement.
9. Feiyu Tech FY-WG 3-Axis Wearable Gimbal Stabilizer
The #9 gimbal on our list is another one from Feiyu, the Feiyu Tech FY-WG 3-Axis Wearable Gimbal Stabilizer for Gopro HERO 4, 3+ and 3. Here’s what we like about this product:
- GoPro 3-clamp adaptor makes it easy to use this gimbal with any GoPro accessory
- Comes with two tripod mounts so you can mount it on your car, bike, or anything you want
- Affordable price compared to some other GoPro gimbals
There are a few potential downsides to keep in mind as well:
- The button design is odd and on rough terrain, the button itself may show up in the your shots
- May need to tape the mounting to prevent background noise while shooting
- Cannot support much beyond the GoPro and a lens – it’s not sturdy enough for a housing
If you don’t mind the light weight capacity, this is a very affordable gimbal.
8. EVO GP 3 Axis Handheld Gimbal
Coming in at #8 on our list is the EVO GP 3 Axis Handheld Gimbal for GoPro Hero 3, Hero 3+, Hero 4, CNC Alloy Construction. Here are some of the things we like about this product:
- Precision mounting allows for professional-quality shots
- Multiple shooting modes, including: Heading Follow Mode, Heading Lock Mode, Heading/Pitch Follow Mode, and Inverted Mode
- Built-in charging cable and long-lasting lithium-ion battery provide tons of shooting time
There are a few potential negatives that you should consider:
- Software adjustments may be necessary to fix issues with the gimbal, and this particular model requires Windows and won’t work for Apple
- Charger is not the best quality and may need to be replaced
- Steep learning curve to figure out how to use different modes
This product offers a lot of versatility but may require some trial and error to get used to.
7. Zhiyun Z1-Pround 3-Axis High-Precision Handheld Steady Gimbal PTZ Camera Mount
Next up on our list at #7 is the Zhiyun Z1-Pround 3-Axis High-Precision Handheld Steady Gimbal PTZ Camera Mount with Built-In Independent IMU Module Stabilizer Extra Power Charger for GoPro Hero 1/2/3/3+/4 – Silver/Black. Here are some of the reasons we chose it:
- High-capacity battery provides up to 10 hours of shooting time
- BacPac supported to help you catch the perfect shot
- Various shooting angles include 270 tilt working angle, 90 roll working angle, 270 vertical heading working angle
There are a few potential issues to consider before buying:
- Instructions are poorly translated from Chinese and may be difficult to follow
- Does not support GoPro Hero 5
- The motor is a little louder than we would like
On the whole, this is a very good product with some nice features.
6. GoPro Karma Grip (HERO5 Black) (GoPro Official Accessory)
The #6 gimbal on our list is the GoPro Karma Grip (HERO5 Black) (GoPro Official Accessory). Here are a few of the reasons that we chose it:
- Compatible with most GoPro models for stable footage wherever you are
- Can easily be attached to a drone for aerial footage
- Built-in camera controls make it super-easy to use on the fly
As always, there are a few potential caveats as well:
- Requires a software update to use with the GoPro Hero 5
- At 2.5 pounds, this is one of the heavier gimbals on our list
- The grip may be uncomfortable to use for long periods
We really like the fact that this gimbal works for GoPros and drones.
5. XSories X-Steady Electro Cube 1-Axis Gimbal Stabilizer Mount
Our #4 gimbal is the XSories X-Steady Electro Cube 1-Axis Gimbal Stabilizer Mount, Steadicam for GoPro, Compact Nikon, Canon, Olympus, Sony, Panasonic Digital Cameras (Black). This is why we like it:
- ¼” universal screw can be used with the GoPro and almost any digital camera
- Comes with stabilizer, charging cable, mounting hardware for GoPro, 1/4″ cameras, smartphones, and a comprehensive user manual
- Battery has up to an 8-hour life depending on your use
Here are a few things that could be better about this model:
- Very lightweight gimbal is limited in the weight it can hold
- Short length requires some practice to use without shaking
- May not be ideal for use on rough terrain
This is a very affordable gimbal, but you will have to trade some stability for the low price.
4. Neewer Z-One-Pro 3-Axis High-precision Handheld Steady Gimbal PTZ Camera Mount
Coming in at #4 on our list is the Neewer Z-One-Pro 3-Axis High-precision Handheld Steady Gimbal PTZ Camera Mount Built-in Independent IMU Module Stabilizer for Gopro Hero 4 Sliver Black 3+ 3 2 1. Here’s why it made the cut:
- 359° tilt working angle, 80° roll working angle, and 300° vertical heading working angle make this model incredibly versatile
- Works with a portable charger or a USB cord
- No software updates to use – works right out of the box
Here are a few potential downsides to consider:
- Instructions are translated from Chinese and are a bit awkward to read and understand
- May not be ideal for shooting in extreme conditions
The affordable price makes this a very attractive option if you want to get stable video without paying a fortune for it.
3. The OFFICIAL ROXANT PRO video camera stabilizer for GoPro, Smartphone, Canon, Nikon or any camera up to 2.1 lbs.
Our third-favorite GoPro gimbal is The OFFICIAL ROXANT PRO video camera stabilizer for GoPro, Smartphone, Canon, Nikon or any camera up to 2.1 lbs. Here are some of the reasons we love this product:
- As the name suggests, it holds a GoPro or any camera up to 2.1 pounds
- Stable grip has three counterweights to ensure a smooth shot every time
- Comes with lifetime support and free video training tutorials
There’s a lot to like about this product, but here are a few potential downsides:
- You’ll probably have to practice a bit to get the balance right
- Lubrication is a must to keep the movement steady
- Adding washers may be necessary if you use it with a heavier camera
We like that this is a lightweight gimbal that can still be used with heavy cameras – with the proper balance.
2. EVO GP-PRO 3 Axis GoPro Gimbal for Hero4 with 3.5mm AV Output, 4-Way Joystick, Multiple Operating Modes, Built From Aircraft Grade CNC Aluminum
Coming in at #2 on our list is the EVO GP-PRO 3 Axis GoPro Gimbal for Hero4 with 3.5mm AV Output, 4-Way Joystick, Multiple Operating Modes, Built From Aircraft Grade CNC Aluminum. There is a lot to like about this gimbal, including:
- High torque motors deliver stellar stabilization without noise
- Works with Hero 3, Hero 3+, and Hero 4 cameras
- Has 4 dynamic shooting modes: heading follow mode, heading lock mode, heading/pitch follow mode, and inverted mode
There are a few things we think could be better, such as:
- This model is a bit heavy for its size
- Does not work for the GoPro Hero 5
- The price is definitely at the high end
If you don’t mind the high price, the joystick and other features make this a great choice for amateurs and professionals.
1. EVO GP-PRO 3 Axis GoPro Gimbal
And finally, our #1 pick is the EVO GP-PRO 3 Axis GoPro Gimbal for Hero3, Hero3+ or Hero4 with Integrated 3.5mm AV Output and 4-Way Joystick, Bundle Includes: Extra Set Batteries, 6 Foot Remote Control Cable and 1 Year USA Warranty. This product has some nice features that made it any easy choice as our top pick.
- High-torque motor is whisper quiet
- Built in charging cord and extra batteries extend the life of the unit
- Joystick and remote control cable allow for maximum control
There isn’t much we don’t like about this product, but here are a few things to consider:
- Needs a bracket adjustment to work with the GoPro 5
- At 2 pounds, this is one of the heaviest models on our list
- The price is on the high side
On the whole, we think that the extra batteries, quiet motor, and control features make this model worth the relatively high price tag.
When you buy a GoPro, you want to get the most use you can out of it. Having a reliable gimbal is key, particularly if you’re going to be shooting on rough terrain. The 10 gimbals on this list are reliable and will provide you with the stability you need.