Anybody who has a GoPro knows that this little gadget is a very cool way to get great pictures when you’re on the go. However, they may also produce images that are shaky or blurry in some situations. The solutions are to get a gimbal – a stabilizing device – to steady your GoPro and get the best footage possible. There are plenty of gimbals available, so the trick is to choose the one that is best suited for you, your camera, and your particular photography needs.
With that in mind, we’ve compiled a list of the 10 best GoPro gimbals available. Whatever your price range and individual needs, you’re sure to find one that works for you.
What to Look for in a GoPro Gimbal ?
Let’s start by talking about some of the features and benefits you may want to look for before you buy a GoPro gimbal. It’s important to have some baseline information to help you judge the products that are available.
First of all, most GoPro gimbals use a three-axis system to provide maximum stability. That does tend to make them a bit more expensive than other gimbals on the market, but the additional price is offset by their versatility.
Here are some other things to keep in mind as you read our reviews:
- The size of your camera is an important consideration, particularly if you are planning on shooting on difficult terrain. Pay close attention to size limitations before you make a choice about which gimbal to buy.
- Another key concern is the handle of the gimbal. You’re going to be holding on to it a lot, so it’s important to choose wisely. There are two basic things to consider:
- The length of the handle may be long or short, and it’s a matter of personal preference which one you choose
- The grip of the handle may be made of rubber, foam, or plastic. Each has its merits so again, this is a matter of personal preference
- It’s a good idea to consider how you will mount your GoPro to the gimbal. There are different mounting systems and you should choose the one that best suits your needs.
The final consideration here is your budget. The gimbals on our list range from reasonable to expensive, and you’ll have to decide where your budgetary line in the sand is. Now, here are our picks for the 10 best GoPro gimbals available.
10. Feiyu Tech G4-QD Quick Dismantling 3-Axis Gimbal
The first gimbal on our list is the Feiyu Tech G4-QD Quick Dismantling 3-Axis Gimbal for GoPro Hero3, 3+ 4 and similar shaped action cameras. Here are some of the reasons it makes our list:
- Fits the GoPro as well as other action cameras from 33 mm to 46 mm tall
- Quick disbursement features makes this gimbal easy to attach
- 320 Degree Pan/Tilt Rotation, 100 Degree Roll Rotation allows for wide coverage
There are a few things that might be better about this gimbal. For example:
- The software installation is a bit complicated and may be frustrating for some
- The motor is a little louder than we would like it to be
- The horizon may tilt during panning
We like the versatility of this model, but the software installation process could definitely use improvement.
9. Feiyu Tech FY-WG 3-Axis Wearable Gimbal Stabilizer
The #9 gimbal on our list is another one from Feiyu, the Feiyu Tech FY-WG 3-Axis Wearable Gimbal Stabilizer for Gopro HERO 4, 3+ and 3. Here’s what we like about this product:
- GoPro 3-clamp adaptor makes it easy to use this gimbal with any GoPro accessory
- Comes with two tripod mounts so you can mount it on your car, bike, or anything you want
- Affordable price compared to some other GoPro gimbals
There are a few potential downsides to keep in mind as well:
- The button design is odd and on rough terrain, the button itself may show up in the your shots
- May need to tape the mounting to prevent background noise while shooting
- Cannot support much beyond the GoPro and a lens – it’s not sturdy enough for a housing
If you don’t mind the light weight capacity, this is a very affordable gimbal.