A 3D printing pen is a type of handheld tool used for drawing, much like how a typical pen appears. However, unlike a pen or pencil, a 3D printing pen uses either PLA or ABS plastic instead of an ink. There is also a powered electric heater and a special heating element, which is responsible for melting the plastic filaments. On one end of the pen is a slot for you to feed the filaments and once they melt, these are forced right out through the tip initially as a warm thermoplastic that becomes harder in seconds. Once the filaments harden, these become 3D shapes – and there is no need for software or computer to make it happen. Our best 3D printing pens 2017 reviews and buying guide feature 10 of the top items in this category that you can choose from along with tips on how to purchase the right one ideal for your needs.
There are many ways for you to use a 3D pen. Generally, this is a type of artistic or creative device, which means you can come up with art projects using it. In addition, you can use it for repairing or even for decorative purposes along with your 3D printer. The smaller components may be attached together for you to form larger models. Among the different functions of a 3D pen include making decorative art and fridge magnets, personalizing various objects such as pens and laptops, making pendants and hanging ornaments, and you may also shape these as flat forms and peeled off a piece of paper. There are endless possibilities to think of when using a 3D printing pen, which allows you to explore your creativity and imagination further and create amazing projects all the time.
Best 3d Printing Pens 2017 – Buyer’s Guide
If you are in search of this type of creative device, then our reviews and buying guide can be helpful for your needs. Check out the different items enumerated below highlighting the features, benefits, and limitations of each. There are also tips on how to find the best 3D printing pen in the market, which can lead you towards the right product worth your precious dollar.
- 10.MYNT3D Professional 3D Printing Pen with an OLED Display
- 9.Soyan Standard Slim 3D Printing Pen with ABS Filament and Drawing Templates
- 8.3D Drawing Printing Pen
- 7.AIO Robotics Premium Full Metal 3D Printing Pen with OLED Display
- 6. CCTRO Scribbler 3D Drawing Printing Pen with PLA Filament (30 G) and LCD Screen
- 5. QPAU 3D Printing Pen with OLED Display and Holder
- 4. PACKGOUT 3D Drawing Doodler Pen
- 3.3Doodler “Create” 3D Printing Pen with Non-Toxic 50 Plastic Strands
- 2.3Doodler Start Essentials Child-Safe 3D Printing Pen
- 1.Scribbler V3 New Design 3D Pen
- 3D Printing Pen Buyer’s Guide
- ABS or PLA?
- Features to Look For
10.MYNT3D Professional 3D Printing Pen with an OLED Display
Whether you are a child or an adult, you will find this 3D printing pen a great addition to your collection of creative tools for your projects. If you will let your child use this, however, be sure to supervise him or her to ensure the safety and outstanding results. This is an affordable 3D pen that includes the plastic filament and replacement heads in the package. As for the ease of use, you will love the minimal learning curve to go through when you ry this out for the first time. It is sturdy and durable, and not at all fragile as some people assume it to be. The usage is rather self-explanatory, but you can always check out videos for more tips on how to get started or make various designs. You can create scripts and even 2D objects with this, and some people even use this for repairing items by filling gaps. Overall, it’s a great item that is lightweight and comfortable in your hand.
However, you may notice that the power cord is a little on the short side. If you want, you can always use your powerbank, as long as it can generate 2A of continuous power. It may be ideal if you are far from the power outlet. An extension cord, of course, will also come in handy considering the short cord of this pen.
- Comes with an OLED display large enough for you to check the temperature of the material.
- You can adjust the temperature in increments of 1 degree beginning 130 degrees C to fine-tune the pen.
- The adjustable feed allows you to regulate the flow and speed for greater control of the material you are creating.
- The kit contains 3 ABS plastic filament colors, slim pen, and an A/C adapter.
- It has a short cord, which means you may have to use an extension cord if the power outlet is far from you.
9.Soyan Standard Slim 3D Printing Pen with ABS Filament and Drawing Templates
If what you look for is a good quality 3D printing pen for your art projects, then this Soyan 3D pen is a good choice to consider. It is slim and light, which makes it comfortable to hold. Controlling the speed of the extruder is also a breeze, which makes it effortless for you to operate this device and create stunning projects all the time. Kids can use this pen anytime with ease, so it is a fine tool for doodling, drawing, and creating those impressive 3D models. This pen can even support the spatial thinking skill while encouraging children to further enhance their creativity and imaginations. Whether you draw horizontally, diagonally, or vertically, you can do so with this pen. The plastic released from the pen hardens instantly, so you can draw in 3D or on paper without a hassle. Changing the color is also easy, so you can come up with bright and colorful works anytime you want. Among the items included in the package are the 3D pen, power adapter, 30 grams of ABS filament, quick start guide, and template paper (5 pieces).
For the price you pay for this pen, you can say that it is quite a steal because of the quality it offers. However, adjusting the temperature is a little tricky since it is tough to tell the direction that can decrease the heat. Other than this, it is a good pen that works well. You can come up with endless kinds of doodles and drawings for your art and crafts project.
- This is a lightweight and slim pen that makes it easy to handle and use.
- The plastic filament once heated comes out smoothly and hardens to turn into 3D drawings.
- It is equipped with every single item you need to get started.
- It may take some time to work the temperature out because of the lack of clear directions on how to do it.
8.3D Drawing Printing Pen
Forget the fuss and hassle in using a 3D printing pen as this device is just what you need to create those amazing three-dimensional drawings anytime you want. It comes with an ergonomic design that makes it effortless to use and handle, and you only need to press the button to get started. Once you do so, the nozzle instantly releases the filament in the direction you prefer. To turn it off or pause the drawing session, just click the button the second time. This is a great 3D pen for kids because it is safe for them to use. The PLA filaments are made from non-toxic and plant-based ingredients, so you can have the peace of mind each time your child uses this device. The filament also cools quickly to prevent burns or accidents. With a clog-free device, there is no clumping or jamming each time you use this pen for your artworks.
In terms of functionality, this pen works as expected. It can surely create stunning art projects all the time, which makes it perfect for hobbyists or school kids. However, there was an issue with the heater cover as there was a broken tab that causes this part to become a little loose. This exposed the heater, which can be a risk for safety. But you can always have this issue repaired easily.
- The one-click button makes it a breeze to use all the time even for beginners.
- It comes with plant-based and non-toxic type of PLA filament to keep users safe.
- The ends are clog-free to prevent mess and clumping.
- Be careful with the heater cover and check first if there is no damage to avoid exposing this part that can be a safety issue.
7.AIO Robotics Premium Full Metal 3D Printing Pen with OLED Display
The solid feel of this pen gives it a sturdy quality, which means it is well-made and built to last for a long time. Once you plug this unit in, it only takes at least 3 to 4 minutes before the ideal temperature of 180 degrees C is achieved. Even with that level of heat, the pen does not get too hot in your hands but only a little warm. As for the feed buttons, these were located right near the bottom portion. This makes it a breeze to start and stop the flow of the filament as you draw and doodle. While it may require a bit of a learning curve for newbies, you will eventually get used to the start and stop manual clicking. You can also expect to make a few mistakes initially, but once you are more well-versed with this device, you should get going in no time.
Loading and unloading is easy, but be aware of the fact that the tip gets very hot. This means that a stand or a holder would be ideal to keep you safe from accidents. The filament also has a tendency to cool slowly. Moreover, the lowest setting for the speed is not too slow for some, which can make it a bit tough to control it with precision.
- You can adjust the flow speed according to your preference while you use the pen.
- There is a 1-degree increment when you want to control the temperature for adjusting the PLA variety.
- The kit includes the pen, cable, manual, and 2 colors of the PLA plastic filament.
- The slow speed setting needs improvement for greater precision control.
- It would be great if there is a holder included since the tip of the pen gets very hot.
6. CCTRO Scribbler 3D Drawing Printing Pen with PLA Filament (30 G) and LCD Screen
Another great quality 3D pen that you can use for your art work, this comes with a clear LCD display to let you know more about the current temperature generated for determining the precise melting level. There are side buttons for controlling the printing speed, filament type, and the temperature, which are conveniently situated for ease of use. As you use the pen, the filament is heated and filtered right through the body. Then, this is cooled down to produce 3D drawings and objects. With just a press of a button, this facilitates the smooth flow for greater ease as you doodle – no clumping to worry about. You can also switch the filament with ease by activating the button. Using this pen, you can turn your imaginations into reality. Children and adults will enjoy this pen that allows them to explore their creativity further and produce amazing art works any time they want.
This product comes with an instruction sheet that has straightforward directions. However, the language used was a bit troublesome to understand because of the poor translation to English from a foreign language. The pen is also slightly noisy once it operates, but it is tolerable. The heated filament dries fast, but at the same time, you want to make sure the entire area is filled up to make sure the object holds up well.
- You can monitor the temperature by checking the LCD display.
- There is no hassle with the flow of the heated filament because of the clump-free design of the pen.
- If you want to switch the filament, you may do so with just a single press of the button.
- There are some issues with the instructions because of the poor translation to English.
- While in use, the pen is a little noisy, yet not disturbing to hear.
5. QPAU 3D Printing Pen with OLED Display and Holder
In terms of appearance, this pen is quite elegant because of its all-black exterior. It is easy to hold and fits comfortably in your hand, thanks to its ergonomic design. To let you know more about the current temperature, you can simply check the OLED display located on the front. This way, you can create different effects and designs as you doodle along. On both sides are 2 buttons, which are easy to access each time you want to control the pen. The 2 buttons on the left are for controlling the temperature while the other 2 on the right side are for manipulating the speed. At the top portion of the pen, there is a hole for placing the filament. For your protection, there is a pen holder made from plastic with matte black color that adds to its elegant appearance. The holder also has a suction cut on the bottom, and this prevents it from falling accidentally. When it comes to the ease of use, this pen is a true winner. Once you put the power connector, the pen begins to heat up really fast at about 1 minute. Afterwards, you are ready to use this pen when you see the green light. Place the filament on the top and adjust the temperature according to your preference, so the plastic can melt. With just a bit of practice, you can gain success with this pen and create amazing projects any time you want.
While there is a filament included, there is a limit since it is not enough. So, you will have to buy more when you run out, but be sure to choose the right material in the LED screen (PLA or ABS) since there are different temperatures required to melt these.
- Easy to use 3D pen for doodling and drawing 3D objects.
- There are 2 packs of the ABS and PLA plastic filament included in the package.
- Adjusting the temperature in 1 degree increments is easy with just a quick press of the button.
- There is only a limited amount of filament included in the pack, which means you have to buy more when you run out.
- With the insufficient filament in the package, this also limits the number of 3D objects you can make until you run out of it.
4. PACKGOUT 3D Drawing Doodler Pen
If you want to create amazing projects in 3D images, then this pen is just what you need. This is a brilliant 3D printing and drawing pen that releases heated plastic, which hardens quickly for you to create three-dimensional images on paper or freehand. The pen weight 2.2 ounces, which is lightweight enough for you to hold it with so much ease and convenience while you draw. In 30 seconds, you can get started with drawing because of the quick boot setup. Once it is not used in more than 5 minutes, the pen shuts down automatically for safety purposes. This pen works great with the 1.75 mm PLA and ABS filament, which are also environment-friendly options. The package comes complete with the 3D printing pen, 30 grams of the PLA filament, and free drawing templates (downloadable) for practice and art inspiration.
In case you experience clogging, you will need to remove all the remaining filament after use. If you fail to remove this prior to the next usage of the pen, you should reheat the pen and wait for the light to turn green. Next, extrude the filament from the nozzle by pressing the feed button. Also, avoid using the high-speed button when the pen is set at a low temperature because clogging may occur.
- This is an easy to use pen that is safe for children.
- When not in used for over 5 minutes, the pen shuts down automatically to prevent accidents.
- The set is complete with every single item you need to get started.
- Clogging may occur with misuse of the pen.
3.3Doodler “Create” 3D Printing Pen with Non-Toxic 50 Plastic Strands
As a renowned name when it comes to 3D printing pen, the 3Doodler Create is the brand’s latest model with improved features. This is the strongest and slimmest 3Doodler pen in the market today, which also makes it the lightest. The design makes it easy to manage and hold, and there is an enhanced drive system that ensures its quiet and smooth operation to let you create endless artworks. Whether you draw horizontally or vertically, you may be able to do so using this pen. The heated plastic extruded hardens right away, which produces 3D figures. You can even change colors without any problem. Hobbyists and crafters will enjoy using this pen, along with its non-toxic filament to eliminate your worries when doodling images with this device.
If you are new to using a 3D printing pen, make it a point to read and understand the instructions well. There are various combinations for the speed, plastic and heat settings that will lead to multiple designs for your doodles. It is also worth noting that this pen is a bit costly to use because the replacement filaments are sometimes hard to find and buy because of the 3mm filaments compatible with it.
- High quality 3D printing pen from a popular and trusted brand.
- Comes in an ultra-slim and very light body for comfortable handling.
- Uses non-toxic filaments for your peace of mind.
- The type of filament used with this pen is expensive.
- There is a learning curve with using this pen, so be sure to read the instructions carefully.
2.3Doodler Start Essentials Child-Safe 3D Printing Pen
Never compromise your child’s safety by giving inferior arts and crafts items. This 3Doodler Start Essentials is child-safe, which means there are no hot parts you can find unlike with regular 3D pens. It is suitable for kids 8 years old and above, so they can make brilliant art projects without the risk of burning their skin. Perfect for creating 3D objects, this promotes tactile learning, creativity, and spatial intelligence. Plus, one set contains all essential pieces to get you started such as the 3D pen, 2 packs of the eco-plastic mixed color strands, activity guide, and a micro-USB charger.
This is a safe 3D pen that you can give to your child because it does not cause burns due to the lack of hot components. But keep in mind that the strands used for this pen is not like the regular ones because they are eco-plastic. Although the warm up time is faster, the hardening process is a little slower. However, this enables you to shape the object before it sets.
- Completely safe for children’s use.
- The parts do not get hot, which prevents burns or other similar injuries.
- The color strands are eco plastic and heat up faster.
- The plastic strands do not get hard quickly unlike with regular varieties.
1.Scribbler V3 New Design 3D Pen
Each drawing and doodling session with this pen can be a success as it is easy to use and creates fascinating designs all the time. You can draw in any direction you want as you make your own style, which means there are no limits to the creations you can expect from this device. There is a large OLED screen that allows you to have full control over the feed and temperature settings, as well as the the type of material you use. Since this pen is easy to manage and lightweight, you can quickly release just the right amount of the filament for better precision with your artworks. No jamming or clogging can also occur, and you have the option to use PLA, ABS, bronze, wooden, copper, and flexible plastic filaments with this device. Artists, hobbyists, and crafters can use this device – children and adults alike. Every drawing you create is a masterpiece like no other because of the three-dimensional and lifelike appearance. Plus, the plastic filament does not have any fume, so there is no risk to your health.
This pen is a joy to use because of its lightweight quality and ergonomic design for the handle. But if there is one thing that may not please other people, it would be the rate in which the plastic filament hardens. It tends to harden quickly, so for people who want to mold and manipulate it with their hands, this may be a disadvantage. Overall, though, it is a solid 3D drawing pen that is worth every dollar you spend.
- Comes in a clean and clog-free design for no mess doodling experience.
- Compatible with a wide range of filaments such as PLA, ABS, wooden, bronze, and even copper.
- The OLED screen lets you know about the temperature setting and speed, so you can later it according to your preference.
- The fast-cooling and hardening action of the heated filament prevents you from shaping or molding the drawing as you wish.
3D Printing Pen Buyer’s Guide
With newer technologies introduced each year, you will be surprised to know that now, you can draw images and make them appear so lifelike – and it is even possible for you to touch and hold them! This is what the 3D printing pen can do, which makes drawing appeal to your sense of touch. Using this pen, you will be able to print 3D objects for your art projects or perhaps as an aid to teaching younger kids.
Instead of an ink, the pen comes with a plastic filament that heats up quick and released through the extruder. Then, it cools down and becomes hard, which gives dimension to your drawing. This is why the process of drawing and doodling becomes even more appealing because you can touch and feel the texture of your creation instead of merely admiring its appearance on a piece of paper.
When it comes to buying a 3D pen, there are a few things to look into. For instance, you want a pen with adjustable temperature settings and speed, as well as a complete set of accessories included in the package. The filament you can use also impacts your purchasing decision because some strands are tougher to find than the others. Most importantly, the price point is another consideration since your budget has an impact on the pen you buy.
ABS or PLA?
During your search, you may discover that some filaments used may be ABS or PLA. Basically, PLA comes from starch, which makes it eco-friendly. The melting temperature is low, and there are big transitions when it comes to the temperature. The texture is also gummier, as compared to the ABS.
On the other hand, ABS has a stronger quality as it is highly resistant to various chemicals. This is an oil-based filament type, which means the melting temperature is high with a small transition to the temperature. As for the cost, ABS is more expensive even if PLA is a biodegradable option.
Features to Look For
The following are things to consider when you shop around for a 3D printing pen:
1. Know how much control you can get: If you find a pen that enables you to have precision control over the device, then this is one feature worth your money. You should be able to have the ability to manipulate the operating temperature and speed, as this gives your art work a refined and professional appearance. This is why you may want to check out a 3D pen with a large and readable built-in LCD screen to also check the settings (speed and temperature) of your pen.
2. No clogging issues: There are some 3D pen designs that are clog-free and do not causing clumping or jamming. A good choice would be a pen that can detect jamming, so you can prevent the issue that can only ruin your work and impact the pen’s efficiency.
3. Automatic shut down is a practical feature: You can find 3D printing pens with an auto-shut down feature when left unused for 5 minutes or so while the unit is still on. This is good because it prevents accidental burns when you touch the hot components, plus this saves energy at the same time.
4. Check the overall design:
Choose a 3D pen that is lightweight, comfortable to hold, and slim enough to fit well in your hand. A smooth and continuous flow of the filament should be another thing to look for since this affects your experience while using the device.
Make it a point to consider these features when you check out different brands and models of 3D printing pens in the market. By doing so, you can have a great experience with your 3D pen and keep it in excellent condition for a long time.