When the heat’s up, your only thought is how to chill out as soon and as fast as possible. The thing is that for certain people, central AC is not really an option. If that’s the case for you, then you may want to consider getting a portable AC unit.
With so many of them to choose from though it can be rather time-consuming and difficult to buy one. After all, what if you get one and it eventually turns out that it’s not as reliable or as powerful as you wanted it to be? That’s a lot of money down the drain that most people cannot afford to lose.
Best Portable AC Units in 2017
To help prevent you from making such mistakes, in the paragraphs below we have reviewed the top ten best portable AC units you can currently get. Therefore, buckle up and let’s see which one meets your needs best!
10. Haier CPRB08XCJ
The CPRB08XCJ from Haier is an excellent AC portable unit that features three modes of comfort, including fan, dehumidify and cool. The AC unit can cool up a room that’s anywhere between two hundred and fifty one and up to three hundred and fifty square feet in size. Furthermore, the unit consumes just nine hundred watts of power, works at one hundred and fifteen volts and has an LED push button display. The CPRB08XCJ comes complete with a window kit, fully directional casters, and a remote control. If you’re curious about the weight, it’s fifty six point one lbs.
- Dries and cools the air in rooms of up to two hundred sq feet.
- Uses only nine hundred watts of power an hour.
- Comes with fully directional casters.
- The unit does get the job done, but if you have large rooms it will take while to cool them properly.
If you cannot take the heat anymore and need to get a nice portable AC unit that gets the job done, then you should get the CPRB08XCJ. Highly recommended!
9. EdgeStar Extreme AP12000S
The AP12000S is a twelve thousand BTU unit that can easily cool rooms of up to four hundred and twenty five square feet. The unit has a dehumidifier only mode option, but also comes with three fan speeds, features a Patented auto drain system, an adjustable digital thermostat with sixty one to eighty nine degrees Fahrenheit temperature range, and comes with a window kit as well. Furthermore, since being able to move this around when needed is very important, the unit comes with caster wheels.
- Can cool rooms of up to four hundred and twenty five square feet.
- Dehumidifier mode only.
- Total of 12000 BTU of cooling power.
- One buyer said that he got two units and the second one broke only after six months of use.
Those who want to get their hands on a very effective portable cooling unit, this is it. Not only is it well made, but it’s also adequately priced. Highly recommended!
8. EdgeStar 14,000 BTU
From now on keeping comfortable and cool is very much possible thanks to the Edgestar fourteen thousand BTU portable AC unit. This model is excellent if you have a very large room of up to five hundred square feet and you want to o cool it fast and effectively. You can easily choose any temperature between the sixty two and eighty eight F range and then sit back until the unit cools your room. There is also a dehumidify only mode which is able to remove up to seventy one points of moisture a day from the air.
If you’re the type who loves the environment and want to protect tit as much as possible, you’ll be happy to know that this model comes with energy saving programmable features. There is no ozone damaging R410A refrigerant in this unit!
- Can cool up spaces of up to five hundred square feet.
- Doesn’t use ozone damaging R410A refrigerant.
- Can remove up to seventy one pints of moisture from the air a day.
- Someone who got this model said that it is having a hard time cooling the room.
Whether you want to cool a large space or remove the moisture from the air, this is one of the best portable AC units you can get. It’s silent, effective, and also easy to use. How great is that?
7. EdgeStar AP14001HS Portable AC Unit and Heater
The one thing that you’ll notice about the AP14001HS is the fact that not only is it able to cool your room, but at the same time it can also heat it up when needed. Speaking of which, the AP14001HS can cool rooms of up to five hundred and twenty five square feet thanks to its dual hose design that can cool spaces up to forty percent faster than single hose units. With an amazing eleven point two EER, this unit consumes a lot less energy than many other models out there. Furthermore, since it is also capable of supplying hot air, you can use it in both the cold and the hot seasons. Lastly, this model is also environmentally friendly and it doesn’t use R410A refrigerant which is well known for damaging the ozone layer.
- Doesn’t use R410A refrigerant.
- Can cool up spaces of up to 525 square feet.
- Dual hose design cools a room 40% faster than single hose designs.
- Someone how might have gotten a lemon or was just angry at the product said that a fan works better.
For those who have large rooms that need to be cooled and heated properly without using up too much energy it seems that the AP14001HS is the perfect unit for the job. It’s easy to move around, very portable, and extremely effective. How cool is that (pun intended)?
6. DeLonghi PACC100EC
The PACC100EC offers maximum energy savings and comfort for rooms of up to three hundred and fifty square feet. Not only does it cool, but at the same time it also dehumidifies the air with low power consumption and energy savings. What you’ll notice about this unit is that it features an electronic control panel that has a twenty four hour digital thermostat and timer. It also comes with an intelligent remote control with LCD display which makes it a breeze to operate the unit from across the room.
Even more, the PACC100EC has a special Condensate Recirculation system that will effectively recycle the condensation on the machine for bucketless and dripless operation. Some other features that make this such a great AC unit include the environmentally friendly R410A refrigerant, separate fan function, and dehumidifying function. Speaking of which, the unit has a maximum cooling power of 10000 BTU per hour and it can remove between forty nine and seventy six pints of excess humidity a day.
- Electronic controls with twenty four hour digital off/on timer.
- Can remove between forty nine to seventy six pints of humidity a day.
- Can cool up spaces of up to three hundred and fifty feet.
- A buyer who got this unit said that it wasn’t strong enough to cool his room.
Whether you like its electronic controls or the fact that you can effectively cool up spaces of up to 350 square feet and dehumidify them fast as well, the PACC100EC is certainly one portable AC unit that delivers. Highly recommended!
5. NewAir AC-12000E
The AC-12000E is a very quiet portable AC unit that not only helps cool your home, but if you want, then you can also use it as a dehumidifier and as a fan. With twelve thousand BTU of power, it’s excellent for rooms of up to four hundred and twenty five feet, including home offices, dorm rooms, dens, and medium sized bedrooms to name a few. The AC-12000E has an auto evaporative system that will not only increase cooling power, but also reduce energy consumption. Lastly, thanks to its programmable timer you can program the unit to start cooling or dehumidifying your home at any time you want.
- Can cool spaces of up to 425 square feet.
- Minimize operating costs and increase energy efficiency thanks to the auto evaporative technology.
- Can dehumidify and cool the air.
- The unit will vibrate excessively and the buttons are loose and cheap.
Whether you want to get your hands on a unit that’s easy to use or a unit that ca doesn’t cost as much as an arm and a leg, you won’t be disappointed with the AC-12000E. Highly recommended!
4. Tripp Lite Portable Cooling Unit Air Conditioner SRCOOL12K
Where it’s not affordable, efficient or practical to install a conventional AC unit, you should consider getting the SRCOOL12K. This model has a maximum cooling power of twelve thousand BTU, comes with a top mounted control panel, but also uses R410A refrigerant which doesn’t negatively impact the environment. If you have rooms that are up to five hundred square feet in size, then this is the best unit you can get to cool them properly.
- Easily cool rooms of up to 500 square feet.
- R410A refrigerant doesn’t negatively impact the environment.
- Requires no water collection tan or floor drain.
- Someone who got this model said that it is indeed fancy, but it won’t cool his small room.
Where serious cooling power is required and you don’t want to invest in traditional cooling equipment, then the SRCOOL12K is the right choice to consider. It’s powerful, affordable, and has excellent cooling capacity!
3. Friedrich PH14B
The PH14B is an excellent portable AC unit that has a total cooling power of thirteen point five thousand BTU. Flexible and practical, this unit can easily be moved from one room to another with relative ease and on top of cooling spaces, it can also help you dehumidify them. Since this is a dual hose design, the PH14B can cool you room up to forty percent faster than a standard single hose unit.
- Automatic motor restart feature in the event of a power failure.
- Three fan speeds allow you to find the right temperature.
- Comes with a twenty four hour programmable timer.
- The temperature gauge in the PH14B doesn’t seem to work well.
The PH14B is the right choice if you want to cool you house without having to worry about spending money on a central AC system. It’s easy to use, affordable, and it’s very powerful as well!
2. De’Longhi PAC N130HPE
Where quiet, power, and effective cooling power is needed, the N130HPE from De Longhi is the right choice to consider. This AC unit has a total cooling capacity of thirteen thousand BTU (which means that it can cool rooms of up to five hundred square feet), it has a four in one operation (can pump heat, fan mode, can dehumidify the air and it can also cool) and it also has digital controls. Furthermore, it can easily remove between fifty four to eighty six pints of humidity from the air per day.
- 13K of BTU cooling power an hour is great for rooms of up to five hundred square feet.
- Can remove anywhere between fifty four to eighty six pints of humidity a day.
- Powerful and easy to use digital controls.
- The discharge hose is not insulated and it can get hot at times.
No more will you need to worry about your home being improperly cooled. With the N130HPE you can cool it very fast, while not having to worry about the unit requiring too much energy to do so.
1. Haier HPN14XHM
The HPN14XHM is an excellent choice if you have a very big house or a big office of up to seven hundred square feet that needs to be properly cooled. This is a 14K BTU unit that features a temperature and time display, three cooling speeds, and it’s also very quiet. Thanks to the dehumidify mode, you can also use it to remove humidity from the air.
- Massive cooling capacity of up to seven hundred square feet.
- Three cooling speeds.
- Digital temperature adjustment.
- 14000 BTU of cooling power an hour.
- A buyer who got this said that his unit worked well for a few months and then it failed.
If you have a very large space that needs to be cooled properly, then there’s no denial that you need to get an AC unit that can get the job done fast and easy. The HPN14XHM is perfect for that and that’s why we highly recommend it!
Portable AC units are in many cases a lot more desirable than traditional AC systems and that’s because you don’t need to tear down walls, drill holes in your walls or any other significant changes to your home to use them. Now that you’re fully aware of the best ones to get, all you have to do is decide on the one that’s right for your home.