In this modern world, nearly every person on the planet relies on the internet for their business, research work, entertainment, and other purposes. This is why it makes perfect sense to use the best wireless router that can help you stay connected on the internet whether you are using your computer, laptop, phone, or tablet. You should be able to find a few selection of dependable wireless routers in our list that we have prepared for you. Feel free to check out our recommended products, as well as our buying guide on what to look for when shopping for an excellent wireless router for home or commercial use.
A wireless router is a device that allows you to connect as many gadgets to the internet as possible. There are different IP addresses for each gadget hooked up to the same internet source, but the speed can be affected as the connection is divided into several devices. By using a wireless router, this spares you from the hassle and inconvenience of dealing with messy wires. So, you don’t have to deal with the mess, yet you can still have a solid internet connection wherever you are in your home or office, as long as you have a reliable wireless router to use. What’s more, these routers come with ports (LAN and USB) that allow you to connect your devices as necessary.
Best Wireless Routers 2017
Here, we have enumerated for you our top picks for the best wireless routers available in the market. From varied speeds, size, and capacity, we bring to you the finest options that should give you the best bang for your buck. You will learn more about the features, benefits, and points to consider when buying each listed item below. Find out which among these match your needs the most, so you can experience total satisfaction with your internet connection.
- 10.TP-Link Wireless Dual Band Archer C7 Gigabit Router AC1750
- 9.Apple AirPort ME918LL/A Extreme Base Station
- 8.NETGEAR Nighthawk Dual Band Wi-Fi Gigabit Wireless Router AC1900 with Open Source Support
- 7.D-Link Ultra Tri-Band AC3200 Wireless Router (DIR-890L/R)
- 6.Amped Wireless ATHENA Wifi Router High Power AC2600 Wi-Fi Router Plus MU-MIMO Technology (RTA2600)
- 5.Linksys Dual Band Wireless Router Open Source AC1900 (WRT1900ACS)
- 4.ASUS Wireless Router Dual Band Gigabit RT-AC88U AiProtection (with TrendMicro)
- 3.TP-Link Wireless Tri-Band Gigabit Wifi Router AD7200
- 2.NETGEAR AD7200 Nighthawk X10 (802.11ac/ad) MU-MIMO Quad-Stream Wireless Router with Plex Media Server and 1.7GHz Quad-core Processor
- 1.Google Router Replacement Set of 3 Wifi system
- Buying Guide for a Wireless Router
10.TP-Link Wireless Dual Band Archer C7 Gigabit Router AC1750
This wireless router from TP-Link allows you to have the speed and convenience you look for in a device that enables you to connect to the internet in seconds. The Archer C7 comes with 6 robust antennas to ensure a dependable speed, so this eliminates the issue with buffering that can get quite frustrating at times. With the advanced technology incorporated in this unit, this guarantees you with a high-speed and strong Wi-Fi that is within its reach. To make sure you can achieve the maximum internet speed, you have the option to assign your devices to the 5 GHz or 2.4 Ghz bands as you wish. If you want to get a fast and steady wired connection, you may also connect your choice of devices (PC, PlayStation, Xbox) to the router through the 4 Gigabit ethernet ports available. There are also dual USB ports for sharing external hard drives and printers across the Wi-Fi network.
If you decide to purchase this wireless router, make it a point to check first that the one you get is not the first version. The second version is without a doubt more dependable even when you are using Apple or Windows devices. This is why some buyers claim to be dissatisfied with the Archer C7 because they have ended up getting the older version, which is not as efficient as the second one.
- Includes 6 antennas (3 external and 3 internal) that send a powerful and steady Wi-Fi signal to various locations within its reach.
- The maximum speed of your Wi-Fi connection is ensured by the powerful CPU of this wireless router.
- You can manage and set up the Wi-Fi through the available app for this router, which is compatible with iOS and Android devices.
- Be sure to get the second version of the Archer C7, so you will not have any problem connecting your Mac devices to the internet since some users have experienced issues with the older version.
9.Apple AirPort ME918LL/A Extreme Base Station
This 6th Gen Airport Extreme Base Station from Apple comes with a dual-bandwidth 802.11ac Wifi support that can transmit strong internet connection at the 5GHz and 2.4GHz frequencies simultaneously. This is why connecting to the internet is never a pain regardless of the band you use for your wireless device. You can guarantee that you will get to connect automatically to the ideal available band that matches your expected speed. With this wireless router, you can have the assurance that is is capable of reaching up to 1.3 Gbps data with the 3-stream 802.11ac technology, and this is three times the standard 802.11n. It is also impressive to know that with the 80MHz-wide channels, this can offer more data space for a more efficient flow. This means the connection is indeed steadier and faster than what regular routers can offer. Aesthetic-wise, the AirPort Extreme is outstanding, but the improvement in the design also allows it to function much better because of the added height and more antennas included for quicker connection and more power than what you can get from it before.
Perhaps the only limitation that you can find from this product is the price point. It is without a doubt a bit pricey, as compared to other options in the market. But if you focus more on what you are getting from this highly efficient and well-designed wireless router, you can definitely say that every dollar you spend is worth it. This is truly a must-have for people who depend largely on a good internet connection while keeping their work space neat and organized.
- The higher platform with antennas situated on the top of the router makes it more efficient for the dispersal of the strong signal.
- The 6 antennas and the 802.11ac Wifi technology provide a faster and more powerful connection with a farther reach.
- Getting started with using this wireless router is quick and easy.
- It is an expensive wireless router but works well according to its claims.
8.NETGEAR Nighthawk Dual Band Wi-Fi Gigabit Wireless Router AC1900 with Open Source Support
If you’ve been getting frustrated with your internet connection, it may be worth exploring on what the Nighthawk Dual Band Wifi wireless router by Netgear can offer. It allows you to experience the fastest internet speed at a maximum of 1900 Mbps, which should make it more efficient for you to conduct your business, do your research, and get the most out of your gaming and viewing experience online. There are external antennas, high-power amplifiers, and an enhanced range with 100 percent reliable wireless speed and coverage. Online gaming and streaming are also lag-free, so there’s no more frustrations each time you use your devices. It is also worth noting that you can easily access media that you have stored on the USB 3.0. Then, you are guaranteed that the stored media remains safe as there is an auto backup software available for the PC and a TimeMachine for Mac.
However, some people experience a few concerns with this router. For instance, the signal strength may be initially strong and steady even in the 2.4GHz band. But some lagging may occur, although this can be resolved by going back to an older firmware and resetting to factory default before setting everything up again. Others recommend using the Firmware Version 188.8.131.52, which may be worth a try if you experience such similar concern with this wireless router.
- Installation is easy, and you can utilize the remote access by the Netgear Genie for even greater convenience.
- Your media remains secure because of the free auto backup software available for Windows and the Time Machine for Mac.
- Performance and range are impressive, thanks to the Beamforming+ feature of this router.
- Lagging and loss of connection may be addressed by resetting to the factory default after choosing an older Firmware version and setting the router up again.
7.D-Link Ultra Tri-Band AC3200 Wireless Router (DIR-890L/R)
When it comes to a more [powerful Wi-Fi router, the D-Link Tri-Band Wireless Router is sure to never disappoint. It offers as much as 600 Mbps speed, as well as 2 independent 5GHz wireless bands that can provide a maximum of 1300 Mbps simultaneously. Thus, you can experience a lag-free experience during your online gaming and viewing. The advanced technology for the AC smart-beam tracks all devices connected to the router to boost the speed and range. To facilitate the bet possible speed for your wi-fi devices, there are three wifi bands available (two for the 5GHz and one for the 2.4GHz. Plus, with the 1GHz dual-core processor, the network speed is always reliable and fast. This wireless router is sure to never disappoint you because of the solid connection you can get from it without lagging and buffering concerns.
There were a few users who encountered speed issues with this router when they conducted the speed test. One user, for instance, has discovered that D-Link is leaning more towards the slower side, as compared with other routers. The user interface of D-Link is also less intuitive, which lacks simplicity that can impact one’s experience in setting it up and managing it during usage.
- You can expect to get as much as 1300 Mbps speed from this wireless router.
- The 1GHz dual core processor positively impacts the speed and the dependability of the network connection.
- The AC smart range makes sure that each device is tracked to promote better overall performance.
- Can be a bit slow sometimes.
- The user interface is not too easy to understand because of the complexity.
6.Amped Wireless ATHENA Wifi Router High Power AC2600 Wi-Fi Router Plus MU-MIMO Technology (RTA2600)
If there are multiple devices in your workplace or home that you want to connect to the internet, then this router is a good choice to consider. It is made with the 1.4GHz (Qualcomm) Dual-Core Processor, which boosts the performance, along with 4 high-gain antennas and 16 high-power amplifiers. These all work together in providing you with the most impressive speed, dependability, and range that you need for your internet connection. This wireless router also gives you as much as 2.53 Gbps that minimizes lagging. You will enjoy your online games, videos, and live streaming without any buffering to deal with. Then, there’s the MU-MIMO advanced technology that offers uninterrupted and lightning fast streaming for all of the devices trying to receive data simultaneously.
The router tends to drop sessions once in a while, which means you will have to reboot it to resolve the issue. Getting it to work properly with a firmware update that is having issues can also be a hassle when this problem happens. But overall, the router has a great coverage that will suffice for a large area. Still, the frustrating experience of having to reboot and restart at certain times make this router a little difficult to deal with at times.
- The user interface and ease of installation make it a breeze to get started with using this wireless router.
- The maximum speed you can get is about 2.53 Gbps, which results to lag-free online streaming, gaming, and internet use.
- No matter how many devices are in the process of receiving data, there is no interruption to worry about because of the MU-MIMO technology that this router has.
- There are occasions when the wireless router will drop sessions, but you can simply reboot it to get it working smoothly again.
5.Linksys Dual Band Wireless Router Open Source AC1900 (WRT1900ACS)
When it comes to the fastest speed for your internet connection, this wireless router from Linksys may be just what you need. It boasts of a speed with a maximum of N600 and AC1300 Mbps. The 1.6 GHz dual core processor also pushes data at the most impressive speed through the network to eliminate lags. Data transfer is enhanced, as there is a 512 MB (double its predecessor’s memory) of RAM. This makes it more efficient for several users to transfer files faster while simultaneously doing other things online whether it is streaming movies, downloading, and playing online games. With configurations for the 4 external antennas included, Wi-Fi coverage is always reliable even in a multiple-storey building or a large area. As this is router is capable for open source, you can customize the firmware without any hassle. Linksys also boasts of the Beamforming technology that makes sure the wireless signal to certain devices is stronger instead of sending the Wifi out in a general direction.
It is difficult to point out a flaw to this wireless router as it is packed with a number of capabilities that make it highly efficient to get everything done on the internet. In case there may be lags, which are quite rare with this router, you can always reboot it and get it restarted to have it performing according to your expectations.
- Compatible with various digital devices as there are ports included such as the USB2.0/eSATA and USB 3.0 ports.
- You can modify the router according to your preference as this is developed for usage with the OpenWRT.
- The Beamforming technology maximizes the speed and performance of the connection no matter how many devices are hooked to the router.
- Some concerns with the speed may arise, but the solution may simply be to reboot the router, and this should help it return to its optimal performance.
4.ASUS Wireless Router Dual Band Gigabit RT-AC88U AiProtection (with TrendMicro)
The Asus RT-AC88U wireless router comes with the newest 802.11ac wifi MU-MIMO technology to boost the speed and performance of the connection at all times. All your wireless devices connected to the internet through this router can receive the fastest speed possible, thanks to the 3167 Mbps combined data rate. You can expect ample horsepower from this router because of the powerful and dependable 1.4 GHz dual core processor with a memory of 512 MB. These specs enable the device to balance the dual band networks of 2.4 GHz and 5 Ghz. For storage and networking purposes, there are 8 gigabit ethernet ports with link aggregation capability of 2 Gbps, as well as the USB 2.0 and 3.0. Coverage is also extended because of the 4T4R design for the antenna. The Wifi range and stability of the signal improves at a significant rate, combined with the AiRadar beamforming technology to strengthen the wifi signal to all connected devices.
This is without a doubt one of the best wireless routers in the market today. All the features presented by the manufacturer are quite accurate, and this can solve coverage and speed issues you may have encountered in the past with other less efficient routers. But be prepared to pay a rather hefty price for this device since it is certainly not the cheapest you can find. For the quality you can receive from this item, however, the price you pay is indeed worth it.
- Offers one of the fastest, strongest, and most reliable internet connection you can get from a router.
- Comes with a number of features that promote signal strength and coverage including the AiRadar beamforming and the MU-MIMO technology.
- Easy to set up and install, so you can get started in just a matter of minutes.
- It’s an expensive wireless router but can ensure you of total satisfaction because of the performance you will receive from it.
3.TP-Link Wireless Tri-Band Gigabit Wifi Router AD7200
Lagging and buffering should be a thing of the past with this wireless router form TP-Link. It is a tri-band router that can offer an expansive coverage while maintaining the impressive quality of signal at all times. With this router, it only takes a few minutes to stream your choice of full-length movies or share files using the 60GHz band. As for the 5GHz and 2.4GHz bands, these ensure the range of the connection at any part of your home or office. The MU-MIMO offers thrice as much outstanding performance as you use your devices for streaming or gaming. All your connected devices should experience a smooth and fast connection, which can result in your greater productivity. It also features the beamforming technology for a more targeted and stronger signal that you want. Lastly, this is the very first router on the planet that can support the 802.11ad, which is the most powerful and the newest in wireless technology. It takes a split second to download hundreds of photos or an HD quality movie in under 40 seconds. Even a full-length 4K movie can be downloaded in under 8 minutes!
Overall, this wireless router does everything in lightning speed performance. In case you encounter a loss of connection, you can always restart it to get it going again.
- Supports 802.11ad for the fastest speed that will allow you to download files in seconds.
- Features the MU-MIMO technology for a lag-free streaming and gaming experience.
- Reasonably priced and packed with impressive features.
- Restarting is necessary if a loss of connection occurs.
2.NETGEAR AD7200 Nighthawk X10 (802.11ac/ad) MU-MIMO Quad-Stream Wireless Router with Plex Media Server and 1.7GHz Quad-core Processor
Touted as the fastest wireless router in the industry, the Nighthawk X10 is designed to give you the finest online streaming and gaming experience that you have always wanted. It provides a lightning speed 802.11ac/ad Wi-Fi, so your VR gaming, downloads, and 4K streaming are completed without the long wait. You can expect a maximum speed of 7.2 Gbps from this router because of the robust Quad Core 1.7 GHz processor, along with the Quad Stream-Architecture. To make it even better, the MU-MIMO makes it possible for you to stream simultaneously, and your mobile devices hooked on the internet can receive double the speed through the 160 Mhz band. There are also 4 external active antennas (patent pending) that amplify the WiFi signal to boost the range and performance. Plus, with a free unlimited backup for 6 months to Amazon Drive gives you the peace of mind that your important data are stored securely.
If there are some things that are not quite appealing about this router, it would be the locked down firmware, so you can’t run your custom tasks or enable SSH. The upper 3 ports of the router also share the 1 gigabit of the bandwidth, which may be rather limiting. But for the most part, this is indeed a fast and efficient wireless router that offers impressive results all the time.
- Super fast streaming and backup using the 10-gigabit Fiber internet connection.
- MU-MIMO connected devices can experience a smoother and faster download.
- The overall speed can reach up to about 4.6 Gbps.
- The firmware is locked down, which can be a bit frustrating for those who want to customize.
1.Google Router Replacement Set of 3 Wifi system
Introducing a powerful router that makes Wifi connection seamless anywhere you use it, the Google router gets rid of common issues with internet connections including lagging, buffering, and dead zones. This router works well with a wide range of ISPs (Internet Service Providers) such as Verizon Fios, Time Warner, and Comcast, so you will have no problem with using it for your needs. If you use the set of 3 Wifi system, this is enough to cover an area of about 4500 sq. ft., which means better performance for an outstanding level of coverage. It also features a Network Assist technology that ensures the steady fast connection by automatically selecting the fastest band and clearest channel for your device. As a bonus, there is a user-friendly app that makes set up quick and simple, while allowing you to check what’s connected to the internet, pause Wifi on your children’s devices, or prioritize specific devices for a much stronger connection.
One limitation of this product is the single usable wired port on the main router. Some wireless routers nowadays have at least 4 ports, and there’s not even any USB port available. However, you can add a switch for extra ports, yet for a price.
- The app is well-designed and works flawlessly all the time.
- Set up is a breeze with hardly any installation necessary.
- You are guaranteed of a far range and dependable performance to fix dead zones and lagging issues.
- There are not enough wired ports usable for your devices on the main router.
- It lacks a USB port, and the choice to get more ports come with a fee.
Buying Guide for a Wireless Router
In any given household, it’s not surprising that everyone depends so much on the internet whether to catch the latest TV series or movies on Netflix or to play their favorite online games, share files, update their status on social media, and what-not. This is why a reliable and powerful wireless router is a must-have in this kind of environment as it distributes the connection to multiple devices throughout a given area such as smart TVs, tablets, smartphones, computers, laptops, and a wide selection of streaming media devices.
So, if you hate the clutter that wired routers offer, your best bet is to invest in a dependable wireless router. Here are some tips to look for when shopping for an excellent wireless router for home or commercial use.
1. Check the speed: You can find routers that use either 802.11ac or 802.11n. If you want lightning speed connection, then there’s no need to think twice about getting a 802.11ac router. This is much faster than the other option, particularly when at close range. But the only thing that may hold you back from getting it is the price point since it is also significantly more expensive than the 802.11n with a standard speed.
2. Know the available ports: It may be worth looking into the ports available on the router. For instance, if you want to connect your computer using an ethernet cable to the router, then you will certainly need LAN ports. On the other hand, connecting an external hard drive, flash drive, and even a USB printer (supposing there’s a built-in print server on your router), then USB ports should come in handy.
3. Keep it secured: It is a must for you to keep your router secured by using a password with a WPA2 encryption for optimum protection. This works by entering the password into your wireless device one time, then it should be stored in it for ease with connecting to the internet. Always remember that security is very much important, specifically if you live in a crowded area or in close proximity to several people, so you can prevent unauthorized individuals from easily hooking up to your connection and compromising your security.
4. Determine your area’s layout: Prior to buying a router, make it a point to perform a thorough assessment of the area where you are planning to use this device. There are various factors that impact the performance of the wireless router such as the materials used in your home and its overall size. Generally, hollow doors, plaster, and drywall can have a negative impact on the router’s performance. The same holds true with solid stone and brick, insulated floors, and walls. If you only plan to use the router in a small space with the device a room away, consider buying one that can perform well whether in near or mid-range situations with excellent throughput. However, if your house is larger, a router with a strong data throughput and long range is advisable to experience the finest connection speed.
If you have an online business, or you are a student relying on the internet for your course work and research, or perhaps you are fond of streaming movies and music online, then a strong and dependable internet connection is just what you need to make all of these tasks happen. This is why a high-quality wireless router is the perfect fit for your needs since not only can you eliminate the mess and clutter with wires, but you will also enjoy the speed, range, and performance of this device that is essential in any environment that depends extensively on the internet.
After reading our reviews on the different products in the market today, along with our buying guide, we hope that we were able to help you select the best wireless router for your personal or business needs. Please feel free to go back to the top-rated products presented here and take your pick from these recommended wireless routers that have been tried and tested to offer outstanding results.