Apple did a rather poor job at explaining what AirPlay is and how it works. The technology has been around for several years, and the number of compatible devices is still fairly limited. Also, they tend to be more expensive and understanding what AirPlay will make it easier to understand why a compatible speaker costs more. AirPlay is a technology developed by Apple that enables its users to stream music, videos and pictures to an AirPlay capable device.
The way data is transmitted from the Apple device to the AirPlay compatible device does not require special hardware. It is actually done over Wi-Fi. The receiving device needs to know how to process the data which means some software and hardware differences when compared with regular wireless gadgets. This means that they are a bit more expensive. At the same time, almost all AirPlay devices are portable speakers which are not a bad thing, but some might like a large audio system that works over Wi-Fi with their Apple products.
Best Airplay Speakers in 2019
For our list, we selected 10 different AirPlay speakers. The audio quality can vary a lot, but their performance and latency are fairly levels across all models. With these things in mind let’s jump right into the list of the top 10 best airplay speakers in 2019 reviews.
- 10.Apple GGMM M4 Airplay Certified Wireless Speaker
- 9.GGMM E5 Multi-Room Wireless Audio Speaker
- 8.Yamaha MusiCast Wireless Speaker WX-030
- 7.Sonos PLAY:5 Wireless Smart Speaker
- 6.Sugr Cube Wifi Minimalist Speaker
- 5.iHome iWS2 Wireless Airply Stereo Speaker
- 4.Sony Portable Wireless NFC and Bluetooth WiFi Speaker
- 3.GGMM E3 Wireless Smart Speakers with USB Charging port and Clock
- 2.Libratone ZIPP Wireless Portable Speaker
- 1.Wren Sound Wireless Speaker V5US
10.Apple GGMM M4 Airplay Certified Wireless Speaker
Without bothersome cords and cables, you should be able to listen to your favorite hits using this speaker that relies on Bluetooth 4.0 technology or WiFi for connectivity. There is a battery built right into the unit that should last for up to 10 hours, which means you can bring it with you anywhere you go.
There is an option to connect as much as 10 speakers to this unit for an enhanced surround sound audio quality. Compatible with your Android, iPhone, and Windows PC, this speaker is just what you need for your music listening needs.
The sound quality is decent, but not exactly impressive because of the slight bottom-heaviness that it offers. An EQ or tone controls would be best for an enhanced audio. But in terms of appearance, this speaker looks good.
- Offers wireless connectivity via Bluetooth 4.0 or Wi-Fi.
- The battery life lasts for up to 10 hours.
- Compatible with Windows, Android, and iOS.
- You may detect a bottom heavy quality to the sound.
- Would be better with tone controls or an EQ.
9.GGMM E5 Multi-Room Wireless Audio Speaker
The GGMM E5 is a wireless smart speaker that uses Bluetooth and Wi-Fi for connectivity. It also integrates with the Alexa Voice Service from Amazon for greater functionality. With this speaker, you can choose from various connectivity options including the AUX, Bluetooth, and Wi-Fi with just a press of a button for the play mode you prefer.
Streaming music is also possible with the speaker, and the battery can last for up to 15 hours for longer playtime. Hands-free calling is made simple once you connect the speaker to your phone via Bluetooth.
This is a small and handy speaker that has multiple capabilities. But in terms of audio quality, it is not something that will impress an audiophile, so you may need an additional device for your stereo speakers.
- Multiple options for connection such as via AUX, Wi-Fi, or Bluetooth.
- Integrates efficiently with the Alexa Voice Service.
- Impressive battery life at 15 hours max.
- Average sound quality that does not make it suitable as stereo speakers.
8.Yamaha MusiCast Wireless Speaker WX-030
When you look for compact speakers for your home or road trips, then this wireless speaker from Yamaha is a solid choice. It features a rich bass and a great sound clarity, which makes the unit ideal as your standalone music system. You can also expand it further with AV receivers, sound bars, and other speakers from MusiCast. If you want to stream music, you may do so with this speaker and check out free online radio stations including Spotify, Pandora, and Napster, to name a few.
Some people complain about not being able to connect this unit to their main stereo. However, for the purpose it is made for, this item is quite satisfactory.
- Compact and lightweight wireless speakers.
- There is an option to expand it using other MusiCast speakers.
- The bass is good enough with average sound clarity.
- Difficulty with connecting the speakers to the main stereo.
7.Sonos PLAY:5 Wireless Smart Speaker
With 6 amplifiers and 6 dedicated drivers, this wireless smart speaker from Sonos can fill the room with crystal-clear sound without a problem. It also allows you to play a single song in sync or different tunes in multiple rooms in your home. As for the set up process, it takes only a few minutes using your home’s Wifi, and you can even expand your audio system when you add several wireless speakers to various rooms anytime you want.
Just a light touch is all you need to do to adjust the volume, so it is convenient to change the settings when your phone is out of reach. Lastly, it is possible to send music from this speaker to other Sonos speaker nearby.
Some people report about having interference or connection issues with this speaker. In case this is your issue, you can always check out the Boost to address this problem effectively.
- There is an option to play several tunes or just one song in your room or multiple rooms.
- Use the speaker by connecting it to your device wirelessly.
- Touch controls make it convenient to adjust the volume settings.
- There were a few users who complain about having some difficulties with connecting the speaker to their device.
6.Sugr Cube Wifi Minimalist Speaker
A wireless speaker that you can connect to your Mac, PC, Windows, iOS, or Android device, the Sugr Cube is portable, lightweight, and easy to bring wherever you go. You can connect it in various ways such as Airplay, Spotify Connect, DLNA, Wifi, and several streaming services, with the exception of 5GHz WiFi. Instead of pressing buttons to operate the different functions of the speaker, you can simply give the top a light tap to start or stop the playback and tilt it to the right or left to skip tracks.
With a built-in battery and ample storage, this speaker can deliver excellent music listening experience anytime and anywhere you prefer.
There are a few issues with the volume control since it only controls the volume source instead of the speaker volume. You may also come across some white noise or hissing sound whenever you play music regardless of the source or volume because the speaker volume is not adjusted.
- This smart speaker is compatible with your iOS, Android, PC, or Mac.
- It comes in a lightweight and portable design.
- Adjusting the settings is easy with just a tap or a tilt of the speaker.
- – The speaker volume cannot be adjusted using the volume control.
- Some hissing or white noise may be audible when you play music from a source.
5.iHome iWS2 Wireless Airply Stereo Speaker
This AirPlay stereo speaker system allows you to stream tunes from iPad, iTunes, iPod, and iPhone via WiFi for greater convenience and speed. You can even configure the unit through the iHome connect, which is an app that you can download. Adjusting the sound quality is convenient and efficient through the bass/treble and EQ controls, and there is the SRS TruBass and Reson8 speaker chamber that provides you with a clear, deep, and powerful sound all the time.
There is nothing exceptional about the sound as it is quite average for most people. Yet, it should do for a regular speaker to use in the bedroom or the office because of its decent performance.
- Streaming music from your devices is made simple using the WiFi.
- There are controls whenever you need to adjust the audio quality.
- Connecting the unit to your device is quick and simple through your WiFi connection.
- The sound quality is just mediocre and nothing exceptional or extraordinary.
4.Sony Portable Wireless NFC and Bluetooth WiFi Speaker
With this speaker, you can hear music as it should, thanks to the subwoofer built right into the unit for that rich bass. Your existing digital audio signals are improved to Hi-Res levels, and you can expect to achieve an audio response that is high-frequency through the DSEE-HX technology in this speaker.
With 32 watts of power, this is truly a reliable and well-made stereo speaker system that you can count on. This speaker has a built-in battery that can last up to 6 hours on a full charge, and you can also charge it using your device by connecting it using the USB port.
On the other hand, the unit is a little large and heavy, as compared with other speakers. At 4.5 pounds, there are surely other speakers much lighter and small than this product.
- The bass is rich enough as there is a built-in subwoofer.
- The battery is built into the unit for ease of use anywhere you are.
- Your current digital audio signals are enhanced to achieve a High-Res level
- It weighs 4.5 pounds, which makes it a little heavier than other portable speakers on the market.
- The overall dimensions are a bit large, so it is not exactly the most compact speaker you can find.
3.GGMM E3 Wireless Smart Speakers with USB Charging port and Clock
This is a great home speaker with a medium size that can be connected using the AUX, Wifi and Bluetooth, so there are no messy wires and cables to deal with. There is an alarm clock built into the unit, along with a USB port. Compatible with various devices, it should be easy to set up in minutes. Setting your favorite music channels is a breeze as there are 6 presets that you can select and activate with just a press of a button. Available in 3 amazing colors, you should be able to find one that matches your taste the most.
In terms of the audio quality, it is a little below what you can get from the E5. There are also no adjustment knobs for the bass or treble, yet there is a bass booster available.
- Several options for the colors of the unit.
- A wireless speaker with LED clock included.
- Setting it up and connecting with compatible devices is quick and simple.
- The audio quality is not very impressive
- No adjustment available for both the treble and the bass.
2.Libratone ZIPP Wireless Portable Speaker
If what you look for is a full room 360-degree sound experience, then the Libratone ZIPP should never disappoint. You can expect to receive full midrange, crisp highs, and a deep bass. Plus, the speaker comes in a larger size than conventional Airplay speakers, which helps enhance the sound quality. Portable and versatile, you can use this speaker anywhere you are such as the deck, kitchen, office, and the bedroom. You can also stream music and video apps, as well as internet radio apps with just a press of a button.
Overall, the app works great. Initially, however, the process of accessing online radios can be confusing. But if you need a small wireless speaker, this product may be worth looking into.
- Comes in a nice, small, and lightweight design.
- The bass, high, and midrange all work great.
- A portable speaker that you can use anywhere you go.
- A little tricky to access internet radios.
- Very small speaker without sophisticated controls.
1.Wren Sound Wireless Speaker V5US
With a solid build and stylish craftsmanship, this wireless speaker can surely work for your needs. Position it any way you want whether vertically or horizontally. You can even stuff it in a tight and narrow corner, or your cramped shelf. There is a passive radiator that is front-mounted so the bass output remains impressive even when you play the unit against the wall.
With a 9-hour battery life, this should give you plenty of hours listening to music without needing to keep it plugged in to a power source all the time.
Some users found this speaker sounding a little tinny or high on treble. Fortunately, the sound improved as it warms up over time.
- You can position it horizontally or vertically.
- Connecting wirelessly is a breeze.
- Has a long and reliable battery life that lasts up to 9 hours.
- High treble or slightly tinny audio quality.
There many interesting AirPlay compatible speakers but only 10 made it to our list. Most of them come with a dedicated app that makes them easier to control. They are also built to be user-friendly and as convenient as possible.
For our list, we selected the most popular models. Some of them are portable meaning that they have a built-in battery while others do not. The biggest and probably the most important aspect is the price. Some of these speakers can be very expensive which is why we attempted to select models from all price ranges.