For the full Blu Ray setup, you’ll want to use a high quality drive that can read, but also write Blu Ray discs. After all, if you’re someone who wants to save space and put his favorite movies and other content on a Blu Ray disc, you’ll find that using a Blu Ray drive to do that is very easy and fast.
So basically, by using a Blu Ray disc you can actually store up to 7 DVDs on it. Think about it for a second: if you have 70 DVDs of content, then you can store those on 7 Blu Ray discs. How great is that?
Best External BluRay Drives in 2019 Reviews
If this is the first time that you need to go out and buy a Blu Ray, then you may not be fully aware of the things you need to bear in mind prior to spending your hard earned money on one. Rest assured, since we got your back. In the following paragraphs we’ll tell you all about the top ten external Blu Ray drives you can currently get. Let’s see them!
10. LG BP50NB40
The LG BP50NB40 is a great portable Blu Ray writer that is excellent if you want to watch Blu Ray movies or write Blu Ray discs. One of the things you’ll love about this model is that it comes with a feature called Jamless Play. What this does is that it allows you to play content from scratched discs without any hiccups. Even more, this model also supports the BDXL format. What this means is that you can use it to write Blu Ray discs of up to one hundred GB. In terms of compatibility, it supports the popular operating systems and it works with just about any computer or laptop.
- Supports almost any operating system.
- Can burn DL discs at 6x speeds.
- Supports BDXL format.
- If you’d like to update the player, you need to have IE with ActiveX.
The BP50NB40 is an affordable Blu Ray rewriter that comes at a great price and can also write BDXL discs. On top of that, it’s very slim and looks cool as well!
9. VersionTECH. Latest USB3.0 Ultra Slim Portable DVD Rewriter Burner,External DVD Drive Optical Drive CD+/-RW DVD +/-RW
The VersionTech is the prime choice for Blu-Ray rewriter. It is widely compatible with various devices including Linux, Mac, Windows XP, Vista 7, and several others. Transmission is fast, and that is a big plus in terms of reliability and efficiency. It is also an easy-to-use device, which takes the stress out in utilizing it for your needs. You can detach the USB cable if you want to, and there is a smart eject design that prevents the disc from getting stuck inside. The aesthetics are also impressive, with its pure copper combined with mesh design. These both add to its value and durability. With a slim, streamline, and lightweight design, this product works for those who want a Blu-Ra yDVD player they can use anywhere they go.
- Extensive compatibility and versatility
- Ease of use is superb
- Brilliant design and advanced technology
- Produces too much noise as it runs
- Basic Blu-Ray player
When it comes to functionality, this unit can’t be beat. Just have to be aware of the noise it generates while operating but it is definitely not a deal-breaker to worry about.
8. Blu-Ray Player External USB DVD RW Laptop Burner Drive
This Blu Ray drive player is excellent if you’re looking for something that doesn’t cost too much, yet it has decent performance. You can use it to read a wide range of discs, but also write discs, including CDs and DVDs. Unlike other models, this one only features USB 2.0 and USB 1.1 compatibility. In terms of compatibility, this model is compatible with the popular operating systems, including Windows 98. If you plan on using this with your computer, be sure to connect it to the machine’s motherboard.
- Easy to use and comes with instructions in English and Chinese.
- Compatible with older operating systems, including Windows 98.
- Can be used with desktop computers.
- There may be some compatibility issues with Windows 10 64 bit where the drive may have a hard time reading CDs.
This Blu Ray disc drive is a good choice if you want to just read CDs, DVDs, and Blu Rays. On top of that, it’s also compatible with desktop computers, which makes it that much more versatile!
7. MthsTec USB 3.0 6X External Slim Blu-ray Writer Drive with 3D, TV Connectivity Function,Windows & Mac Compatible-(Black)
Your search is over for the best Blu-Ray burner and writer. This product from MthsTec got you covered when you need a reliable and practical accessory you can use along with your smart TV, laptop, and desktop. It is a brilliant Blu-Ray writer with USB 3.0 functionality that lets you write and read DVD, CD, and Blu-Ray discs in a flash. If you want to use it with your smart TV, you can do so without a problem. This lets you watch DVDs and Blu-Ray right at the comfort of your own home and on your TV. You can even enable your smart TV using this device to play your favorite movies, videos, MP3 files, and view picture files. Just be sure your TV has the right decoders to make all of these happen.
- Reads and writes a wide selection of media formats
- Lightweight and compact style for ease in usage
- Works seamlessly once you plug the unit into your device
- Great tool for backing up your collection of Blu-Ray discs
- The unit works a tad slow
- A little pricey
Although it functions slow and a bit high priced, you will love how it works for the purpose it serves. Overall, a good buy worth your money.
6. LG Electronics Blu-ray DVD Writer (BE16NU50)
The LG BE16NU50 Blu Ray disc drive is an excellent choice if you are serious about reading and writing Blu Ray discs, including CDs and DVDs. The writer features USB 2.0 connectivity, it can write Blu Ray discs at 6x and it also features M-DISC support. You don’t need to worry about installing special software to use it because you can use it as soon as you plug it in. This model supports quad layer Blu Ray discs, 3D Blu Ray disc playback and also comes with Jamless Play technology.
- Silent play makes this very quiet when playing video content.
- Jamless Play technology allows you to play content from scratched or damaged discs.
- Supports quad layer Blu Ray discs.
- As you can tell from the picture, this thing looks quite bulky.
The LG BE16NU50 is a great quality Blu Ray drive that not only writes CDs, DVDs, and Blu Ray discs, but at the same time features a wide range of technologies that make using it a breeze. Highly recommended!
5. SEA TECH Aluminum
If you’re in the market looking for good quality external Blu Ray drive that writes, but also reads a wide range of disc types, then you should take a closer look at the Sea Tech aluminum Blu Ray writer. This bad boy uses a UJ 260 Panasonic drive that supports the BDXL format. One thing you need to bear in mind is that you do need to download software to be able to use the drive. If you want to use it with CDs and DVDs, the unit is plug and play and should work fine. The drive is compatible with both PC and Mac, it features both USB 2.0 and 3.0 compatibility and is overall very simple to use.
- Very lightweight and works right out of the box.
- A great choice for laptop owners or people on the go.
- Enclosure is made of high quality aluminum which improves durability.
- The edges of the machined aluminum are a bit sharp.
Thin, sleek, and durable, the Sea Tech Blu Ray drive is a great choice for anyone who is looking for portability, top notch build quality, and a great looking Blu Ray drive!
4. Pioneer Slim External Blu Ray Writer BDR-XD05B
The Pioneer BDR-XD05B features a clamshell design and is by far one of the more interesting external Blu Ray drives out there. It supports USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 and when it comes to powering it, you don’t have to worry about using an external 5V adapter which would be the case with other drives out there. The BDR-XD05B also supports the MMC 5 SCSI command set and it’s compatible with most modern operating systems. Better yet, the drive also supports the BDXL Blu Ray disc format.
- Features support for BDXL Blu Ray discs.
- Since it’s lightweight and slim, you can easily carry it with you.
- Clamshell design.
- The customer support is quite poor and the drive doesn’t support Windows 10 yet.
Pioneer is well known name in the industry and their Pioneer BDR-XD05B Blu ray disc drive is a solid performer. Lightweight, slim, and easy to use, you’ll be hard to pressed to find something better out there in this price range!
3. ASUS Powerful Blu-ray Drive with 16x Writing Speed and USB 3.0 for Both Mac/PC Optical Drive BW-16D1X-U
The BW-16D1X-U LITE from ASUS is an energy saving, but also quite powerful Blu Ray disc drive that not only has a futuristic design, but it’s also capable of writing 16x Blu Ray Disc formats. This model also comes with Disc encryption which doubles data security, while the USB 3.0 connectivity ensures greater transfer speeds.
- Excellent security standard with encoded file name functionality and password control.
- Comes with Power Backup professional data backup software.
- Can burn Blu Ray discs at 16x.
- Some of those that used the drive said that the eject button on the front side may not work at all times.
The BW-16D1X-U LITE from ASUS is a top quality Blu Ray drive that can write a wide range of discs accurately and at great speeds. On top of that, it also comes with extra security features which furthermore help you secure your data.
2. Samsung SE-506CB/RSBD
The SE-506CB/RSBD from Samsung is a very impressive Blu Ray drive can read quad, triple and dual layer Blu Ray discs, including DVDs and CDs. One of the things you’ll love most about it is that it’s very slim (at just twelve point seven millimeters) and it’s also compatible with both Windows and Mac computers. Whether you plan on using it to write discs or watch Blu Ray movies on it, you’ll absolutely love the SE-506CB/RSBD.
- Compatible with both Windows and Mac computers.
- Very slim at just twelve point seven millimeters.
- Can read and write quad, triple and dual layer Blu Ray discs.
- Certain BDXL M-discs may not be compatible with this drive and you may end up ruining them if you decide to write data on them.
Thin, sleek, and being able to read a wide range of disco formats, the SE-506CB/RSBD will thoroughly impress you with its amazing performance!
1. Pioneer BDR-XS06
This silver Blu Ray disc writer and reader is a top performer not only because it’s USB 3.0 compatible, but at the same time it can be used to burn a wide range of discs at great speeds. The drive supports BDXL format, including triple layer and quad layer Blu Ray discs. If you want to burn Blur Ray discs with it, the BDR-XS06 can burn them at speeds of up to 6x, while CDs and DVDs can be burned at speeds of 24x and 8x respectively.
- Compatible with BDXL format and can burn and read CDs, DVDs and Blu Ray discs.
- Supports all the popular operating systems.
- USB 3.0 and 2.0 interfaces with a buffer size of 4 megabytes.
- The only bad thing about this drive is that it has a physical eject button that some users said may not work at times.
This is by far the best Blu Ray disc reader and writer you can currently get. Pioneer is very well known for the quality of its products and the BDR-XS06 is no exception. The drive not only has a cool design, but it also supports just about any disc format you can imagine. Highly recommended!
If you managed to read this far, then it’s safe to say that you now know all about buying the right Blu Ray drive for you. Whether you plan on using it at home with your PC or maybe with your laptop, finding the right one to meet your budget and need should be a lot easier now that you are aware of the top ten best Blu Ray drives on the market. Happy shopping!
External BluRay Drives- Buyer’s Guide and Tips
When you need to store bigger applications and programs, you can rely on the storage capacity of a BluRay drive. Sure, DVD is still used nowadays, but it won’t belong before more and more people would soon realize the immense value of a BluRay drive when it comes to the amount of data it can hold while being capable of playing both CD and DVD.
So, you’ve been thinking of buying a BluRay drive for your personal use? Then these are some features to look into that will make your purchase a reasonable and practical one.
- Performance: Let’s get down with the basic feature that can either make or break your purchase – the performance. You want to be sure that your BluRay drive offers an excellent writing and reading speed, which in lay man’s term is the length of time the unit takes to burn your HD movies to discs. In the same way, you want to get a BluRay drive with a backward compatibility, or the drive can write and read DVD and CD with a speed that depends largely on the model of unit your purchase.
- Speed of Burning: Are you in need of a BluRay drive that can offer a maximum reading speed? If you opt for an external drive, the range may go from 2x to a maximum of 12x. As for the burning or writing speed for a write-once disc or BD-R and the BD-R-DL, it is as much as 12x in some models. But also, you need to keep in mind the drawbacks of a very fast burning speed. For instance, if you choose a very high burning speed, this increases the possibility of incorrect burning or even data loss. This is why as much as possible, you may want to steer clear of the habit of employing the maximum speed with burning discs to protect your files.
- Connection: No matter what the speed of data exchange, you can expect more from a USB 3.0 for your drive’s connection interface. If you opt for USB 2.0, there is a cap of 480 mbps for the peak transfer speed. But with the USB 3.0, the peak speed of data transfer is at 5 Gbps.
- Power Supply: You can never tell when the power will be out, so having a back-up power source is great with a BluRay drive. One that comes with a USB doubling as a power supply and as a tool for data exchange is great in case you are in a place where there is no power outlet available.
One last note – consider the ergonomics of the drive that you want to purchase. One that is slim, sleek, and convenient to use are essential features to look for. Are you getting one that has a horizontal or vertical mounting type? This should be perfect for an external BluRay drive that is for stationary use at home or in the office.
We hope that we have helped you determine key features to look for in an external BluRay drive. Now, it’s your turn to shop around while taking into account these qualities we have just presented to you.