People do not put many touches into it, but indoor speakers sound awful when used outdoors. The sound quality is just bad and the main reason for it is that they were built to be used in a room. Their acoustics is not fit for open environments.
Most manufacturers offer outdoor speakers or speakers that are suitable for both environments. They use special drivers and a different kind of enclosure. This helps the sound propagate in a different way so that they sound outdoors just as good as indoor speakers. The only problem is the fact that there are not that many different models to choose from. Most manufacturers usually make professional outdoor speakers that are meant to be used for events and concerts. For the average consumer, finding something that they can use in their own backyard is a bit more difficult.
Best Outdoor Speakers 2017
We were able to find several interesting models of outdoor or outdoor/indoor speakers that can get the job done quite well. They are usually a bit more expensive than regular indoor speakers, but the sound quality is up to par. Actually, there are very few models that can be considered disappointing. With all these things in mind let’s jump right to our list of the top 10 best outdoor speakers 2017 reviews.
- 10. Definitive Technology AW 5500 Outdoor Speaker
- 9. Bose 151 SE Elegant Outdoor Speakers
- 8. Definitive Technology AW 6500 Outdoor Speaker
- 7. Pyle PLMR24B 3.5-Inch 200 Watt 3-Way Weather Proof Mini Box Speaker System
- 6. Polk Audio Atrium 4 Outdoor Speakers
- 5. Yamaha NS-AW150WH 2-Way Indoor/Outdoor Speakers
- 4. Sound Appeal Wireless Bluetooth Weatherproof Speakers
- 3. Yamaha NS-AW194WH High-Performance All-Weather Speakers
- 2. Pyle Home PDWR30B 3.5-Inch Indoor/Outdoor Waterproof Speakers
- 1. Dual LU53PW 125 Watt 3-way Indoor/Outdoor Speakers in White
- Outdoor Speakers – Buyer’s Guide
10. Definitive Technology AW 5500 Outdoor Speaker
The Definitive Technology AW 5500 is an excellent option for the ones that need something that was specifically designed for outdoor playback. It comes as a single speaker that requires amplification.
The model has a durable waterproof plastic enclosure. It can deliver rich bass and excellent mids and highs. Some might look at them as being a bit too expensive, but their premium drivers make up for crystal clear sound which places them in the premium category.
9. Bose 151 SE Elegant Outdoor Speakers
Bose is a well-known brand that mainly makes premium speakers. They excel in terms of sound quality and design. The 151 is no exception. These outdoor speakers are small but surprisingly loud.
According to the description of the model, the speaker comes with a glass filled cabinet and adjustable brackets. They can survive harsh weather such as snow, rain and even extreme temperature. The price tag is a bit on the high side, but their sound quality will not disappoint.
8. Definitive Technology AW 6500 Outdoor Speaker
From many points of view, the Definitive Technology 6500 outdoor speaker is similar to the 5500. What sets them apart is the power which translates into loudness. The 6500 are incredibly powerful due to the larger drivers used.
The model comes as a single speaker with a large subwoofer that can deliver excellent bass. Their sound quality is impressive and so is their build. They can survive most weather conditions and come with mounting brackets that make it easy to install them onto a wall.
7. Pyle PLMR24B 3.5-Inch 200 Watt 3-Way Weather Proof Mini Box Speaker System
The Pyle PLMR24B is a great sound system for the ones that need something cheap that sound good enough. It comes as a pair of two speakers which require amplification.
For the price, users will get two speakers with a plastic enclosure. They can deliver 200 watts of pure musical power which should be more than enough. The manufacturers used premium drivers and a solid woofer that delivers excellent bass.
6. Polk Audio Atrium 4 Outdoor Speakers
Polk Audio Atrium is a great kit that consists of two outdoor speakers. They come with an excellent price tag which recommends them to the ones that have a rather limited budget.
The model has a stylish design with a white enclosure and a white mesh that covers the speakers. They use high-quality woofers and tweeters that translate into the crystal clear sound that is surprisingly good even for outdoor speakers.
You may be interested in: Top 10 Best Airplay Speakers in 2017 Reviews
5. Yamaha NS-AW150WH 2-Way Indoor/Outdoor Speakers
Yamaha is one of those brands that does not need any introduction. Their contribution to the industry cannot be denied. The NS-AW150WH is an excellent example of engineering and craftsmanship.
This pair of outdoor speakers comes with a decent price tag and excellent sound quality. They have a metal protective mesh and a white enclosure. The maximum power capacity is 120 watts which make them quite loud while the driers and the acoustics will ensure an optimal listening experience.
4. Sound Appeal Wireless Bluetooth Weatherproof Speakers
The Sound Appeal wireless outdoor speakers are an excellent choice for the ones that need a simple and uncomplicated solution. They actually come with a built-in amplifier and Bluetooth support which means they can be connected to almost any smartphone or tablet.
The model delivers a maximum power of 80 watts which is decent. Their bass is smooth and clean even at the highest volume. The model comes with a waterproof design and a solid enclosure that makes them excellent for outdoor playback.
3. Yamaha NS-AW194WH High-Performance All-Weather Speakers
The Yamaha NS-AW194WH outdoor speakers offer performance that is difficult to match at least in their price range. It is a simple model that delivers more than enough power and excellent sound quality that got them many positives in 2017 reviews.
Similar to other outdoor speakers the model does not include an amplifier. Each speaker from the kit comes with a plastic enclosure, a subwoofer, and a tweeter. This makes up for rich sound. What recommends them the most is the selling price that makes them an excellent deal.
2. Pyle Home PDWR30B 3.5-Inch Indoor/Outdoor Waterproof Speakers
It is difficult to believe just how good the Pyle PDWR30B outdoor speakers sound when taken into consideration their extremely low price. These inexpensive speakers deliver a peak power of 300 watts which makes it quite loud.
The model has a waterproof design that makes them survive difficult weather conditions such as snow and rain. They are reasonably light and very easy to setup.
1. Dual LU53PW 125 Watt 3-way Indoor/Outdoor Speakers in White
Dual LU53PW is a popular outdoor speaker that received many positives in 2017 reviews. The combination of excellent sound quality and a reasonable price tag got them selling extremely well.
The model uses a large woofer and a high-quality tweeter. It delivers 60 watts RMS which means they can get quite loud. The enclosure is waterproof and comes with a pivoting bracket that also allows them to be mounted onto a wall.
Most outdoor speakers come without amplifications. This is one of the reasons why some models are so inexpensive. The only models that are guaranteed to have a built-in amplifier are wireless ones or models that support Bluetooth devices. For our list, we went only for brands that have a proven track record of making excellent products. All the outdoor speakers from our selection are worth checking out. The only thing that might stand out is the pricing as some models can be extremely expensive.
Outdoor Speakers – Buyer’s Guide
When the weather is perfect, this means one thing – more fun under the sun! This is the best time to go outdoors, host a pool party, have a nice backyard cookout, or simply enjoy socializing with your family and friends as you gather in the garden. And to complete the whole setup, you want some music playing in the background at the same time. This is why a good quality outdoor speaker may be worth buying to keep everyone entertained while relaxing outdoors.
Consider the following features that you should look into when buying an outdoor speaker:
- Design: With so many options for the design, the search for a great quality outdoor speaker can be a daunting task. Among the popular choices for an outdoor speaker include the mounted, camouflage, and decorative. If you want to ensure superior audio projection, then the best way to go is a mounted speaker since you can set it up in a location that will facilitate a smoother flow of sound.
However, if you are after the aesthetic aspects of a speaker, then it is best to opt for decorative ones. You can choose designs that will match the motif in your garden or outdoor space such as ladybirds or planters, to name a few. But if you want speakers that blend well with the environment, a camouflage speaker is a fantastic choice.
- Type of Speaker: There are mono, stereo, omnidirectional, and wireless speakers available on the market with features that appeal to every individual. If you prefer a unit that can offer a 360-degree angle sound around the speakers, an omnidirectional type is ideal for you. But for a smaller space where the activity takes place in a single spot, a stereo speaker should suffice. Mono speakers work best in a large area where people do not normally stay in a spot where the stereo effect is noticeable.
If you prefer convenience in connecting the speaker using Bluetooth or infrared, wireless speakers are perfect. Just keep in mind that you will still need a power source to plug the unit in. However, there are less wires to deal with when it comes to a wireless type of speaker.
When using an outdoor speaker, you will need to choose the right place to set it up. The higher the speaker, the less obstructions can impact its sound. But at the same time, the sound thins out if you place it too high above the ground. Also, make it a point to consider the size of the area where you plan on using the speaker. Larger spaces require bigger and more powerful speakers for better audio quality.