If you own a home, you know that every fall your yard becomes filled with leaves and tree debris that will kill your grass if left on your lawn all winter. Removing these leaves is a process that takes a lot of time, and effort, especially if you are removing them by raking the leaves into a trash bag.
Using a leaf blower is a much quicker way to clean up your yard, but you still have a pile of leaves to deal with. Have you ever considered using a leaf mulcher to create compost that will fertilize your garden?
Best Leaf Mulchers in 2018
Purchasing mulch for your garden every year can become a bit of expense, and have your own mulcher can save you money in the long run. This guide is designed to give you a list of ten of the top 10 best leaf mulchers in 2018 reviews that are currently on the market, but before we dive into the specific product reviews, let’s explore the different types of leaf mulchers and the features to consider before making a purchase.
Types of Leaf Mulchers
- Gas – Gas powered mulchers are the original leaf mulching tool. They are relatively heavy to heft around, but they are great for large areas that need to be maintained. This type of mulcher is also extremely noisy, and it requires regular maintenance.
- Electric – Electric mulchers are better for the environment because they reduce the noise pollution and the air pollution that can be seen with gas mulchers. They are also a lot lighter, which makes them easy to carry around your yard, but you do need to have an electrical outlet available to use this type of device.
- Battery Powered – This is the best of both worlds. This device is light, quiet, and it does not require you to be tethered to the wall, but it comes with a higher price tag. Many of the high-end leaf mulchers are battery powered.
Features to Consider Before Making a Purchase
- Motor Specifications and Power – The amps of the motor will determine the amount of power that is behind the leaf mulcher that you purchase. While the lowest amount of amps that you should consider is ten amps, many of the best leaf mulchers do not drop below 12 amps of power.
- Speed – There is not a particular speed that you want to purchase, but you do need to have a few options. If the pile of leaves that you are attempting to clear is being sucked into the device too fast, you may need a slower speed to moderate the amount of leaves entering the leaf mulcher at the same time. Using a slower speed during this process will help to ensure that clogs do not occur while you are working on cleaning up the yard.
- Reduction Ratio – You want a relatively high reduction ratio because the whole purpose of mulching is getting rid of the bags of leaves that raking creates. You will want to get a device with a reduction ratio of at least 16:1.
- Capacity – Make sure that the leaf mulcher that you purchase can handle the size of your lawn. If you have a vast amount of leaves fall from the trees in your yard every year, then you may need a larger capacity than you would with only one or two trees on your lawn.
- Blade Quality – Choose a leaf mulcher that has a high blade quality because adequately shredding the leaves that are vacuumed up means that less work will need to be completed in the future. You do not want to purchase low-quality blades that you will need to replace before the season is through.
- 10. BLACK+DECKER BV5600 All-in-One High Performance Blower/Vac/Mulcher
- 9. WORX TRIVAC WG505 TRIVAC 12 Amp All-in-One Blower/Mulcher/Vacuum with 210 MPH / 350 CFM Output, Includes 10 Gallon Bag
- 8. WORX WG518 Electric Blower/Mulcher/Vac, 12 Amp All-in-One
- 7.Flowtron Ultimate Electric Leaf Mulcher LE-900
- 6. Electric Leaf High Capacity Bladeless Mulcher and Shredder
- 5. GudCraft Electric Leaf Mulcher and Shredder
- 4. Yard Force 13-Amp Leaf Shredder YF8000
- 3.WORX 13 Amp Compact Electric Leaf Mulcher WG430
- 2. Sun Joe 13 Amp Shredder Joe Electric Leaf Shredder and Mulcher SDJ616
- 1.Eco-Shredder 14 Amp Electric Mulcher, Shredder, and Chipper ES1600
10. BLACK+DECKER BV5600 All-in-One High Performance Blower/Vac/Mulcher
The BV5600 from Black and Decker is capable of blowing leafs and other debris switch speeds of up to two hundred and fifty miles an hour. It can also be used as a mulcher and vacuum, making it perfect for a wide range of jobs. During blowing, you’ll be happy to know that this model is about half as loud as other models, meaning you won’t need to worry about getting noise complaints from your neighbors when using it.
The BV5600 features a metal fan (high impact) which effectively prevents clogging when you use the tool as a mulcher. For flower beds, you can use the two speed selection to get the job done faster and easier. The BV5600 makes it easy for you to change between blower and vacuum in just seconds thanks to its tool free changing operation. Whether you want to clean debris from your garage, deck, sidewalk, driveway or more, you’ll find this model to be very effective for these kinds of jobs. Lastly, the BV5600 can grind up to sixteen bags of mulch down to one, which is fairly impressive.
Since it’s able to grind sixteen bags of leafs down to 1, this model is perfect for those who need to remove a lot of leafs from their property without having to worry about emptying the bag too often. Highly recommended!
- Produces about sixty eight decibels of noise.
- Allows for simple changing between blower and vacuum.
- Can grind up to sixteen bags of mulch down to one.
- 250 miles an hour blower with two speed selections.
- It doesn’t work that well for picking up twigs.
9. WORX TRIVAC WG505 TRIVAC 12 Amp All-in-One Blower/Mulcher/Vacuum with 210 MPH / 350 CFM Output, Includes 10 Gallon Bag
The WG505 is a three in one vacuum, mulcher, and blower and is therefore extremely useful if you want to keep your property clean at all times. Given the fact that you don’t need to worry about switching tubes between tasks, you can use the WG505 to blow away debris at up to two hundred and ten miles an hour. After that, you can easily switch to the vacuuming function to that you pick up the dry leafs at up to fourteen gallons per minute in just seconds. Thanks to the WG505’s comfortable handle and angled nose, you’ll find that using the TriVac is a breeze. Lastly, since it comes with a twelve amp motor, it has just about the same power as gas powered tools.
Whether you want to blow leafs off your driveway, vacuum it or use the WG505 as a mulcher, you can easily do that thanks to its powerful features and capabilities. Furthermore, it’s lightweight, delivers air speed of up to two hundred and ten mph, and it’s easy to use as well.
- Can be used as a yard vacuum, mulcher, and blower.
- Powerful electric motor (twelve amp) makes this an efficient, odor free, and clean alternative to gas powered tools.
- Capable of airspeeds of up to two hundred and ten miles an hour.
- Ten to one mulch ratio thanks to the metal impeller. This means one hundred gallons of dry leafs fit into a ten gallon collector bag.
- Someone who got this said that it needs a bit more power for more difficult jobs.
8. WORX WG518 Electric Blower/Mulcher/Vac, 12 Amp All-in-One
As a three in one tool, the WORX WG518 is a two speed blower that has a blowing speed of up to two hundred and fifty miles an hour. It also works as a vacuum with up to four hundred CFM and as a mulcher with leaf mulch ratio of sixteen to one. The capacity of the mulching bag (included) is one bushel and the good news is that unlike other similar tools out there, you can easily use the WG518 with one or two hands. Extra control is possible thanks to the dual speed adjustments. With up to two hundred and fifty miles an hour air speed and 400 CFM of air volume, you can easily imagine how useful the WG518 is for clearing small yards, parking areas, but also steps, sidewalks, driveways, decks, and more.
Use the WG518 from Worx as a three in one tool to not only blow debris off your property, but also mulch and vacuum. With up to 250 mph air speed, it’s easy to imagine how powerful this bad boy actually is!
- Can be used as a mulcher, vacuum, and blower.
- Easy to use and lightweight.
- 1 touch vacuum to blower conversion and tool free assembly.
- Metal impeller for sixteen to one mulching ratio.
- You need to be careful when using this with wet leafs, since it tends to jam up.
7.Flowtron Ultimate Electric Leaf Mulcher LE-900
When it comes to recycling your garden wastes and turning these into a nutrient-rich mulch for your yard, then the Flowtron Electric Leaf Mulcher is just the perfect item for this job. It offers a variety of positions – coarse to fine – for the leaves, as well as for pine needles, thatch, and grass. With ample space in the bag, you can reduce as much as 11 bags of your yard wastes in just one go.
It comes with a heavy duty and high powered cutting lines, which makes the mulching more efficient and possible. The control level is also easy to read and use, and you can quickly select your preferred setting for the task you have in mind. For faster cleaning up of your yard and minimizing the waste, there is a two-step process in this mulcher, which adds to the efficiency of this tool.
One observation about this leaf mulcher is the amount of noise it produces while being used. You will have to use ear plugs to block the noise, plus an eye protection to ensure eye safety while operating the unit. Also, it would be best to place only two handfuls of wastes at a time to completely shred the items faster.
- Can shred up to 11 bags of garden wastes at a time.
- Easy-to-read and user-friendly control lever.
- Shreds and mulches leaves, thatch, pine needles, and grass efficiently.
- Tends to generate a high level of noise.
- For best results, you should only put a few handfuls of leaves at one time.
6. Electric Leaf High Capacity Bladeless Mulcher and Shredder
If you are tired of dealing with heaps and piles of leaves and branches in your yard, then you may want to check out this electric shredder and mulcher for easy cleanup. It is powered by a 13-amp powerful electric motor that can turn any garden waste into bagged and shredded mulch in minutes. Using electric power, there is no need to rely on gas to run the unit.
There are no harmful fumes emitted by the unit, so you are doing the planet a favor by opting for this eco-friendly mulcher. With a compact design, you can store this unit without any problem at all. It also weighs 13.4 pounds for ease in moving it around, yet it is rugged and sturdy to last for a long time.
Be sure to read the instructions manual carefully to ensure the proper usage of the unit. Avoid overloading the hopper to prevent jamming and slowing down of the shredding process.
- The motor is powerful enough to mulch and shred wastes efficiently.
- There are no harmful and foul-smelling fumes emitted by the unit because it is 100% electric.
- It comes in a lightweight design for ease in transporting it from one location to another.
- Jamming may occur when you put too many wastes into the hopper.
- The noise level is a little on the high side, but it is tolerable.
5. GudCraft Electric Leaf Mulcher and Shredder
It is a breeze to operate this tool as it has a simple hand crank for ease in opening and closing. Right out of the box, it should be ready to use in a matter of seconds as there is no need to mess with wiring or cables. An installation hardware is also included for an efficient means of setting up and getting started with using this tool.
In a matter of minutes, you should be able to reduce your 8 bags of leaves into just a single mulch. It is even capable of a 30:1 mulch reduction to effectively clean up your yard and get rid of garden wastes. Replacement cutting cords and extra accessories are also included in the package.
As compared with other units, this mulcher is a little heavy at 17 pounds. So, it can be a bit challenging to move around unless you exert a great amount of effort. A much tougher and more aggressive cutting tool would also be ideal to make sure the leaves are shredded much faster.
- Simple installation and assembly required to get started.
- Offers a 30:1 mulch reduction for an efficient yard cleanup.
- The unit is heavy duty and sturdy to handle tough external elements.
- Unlike other mulchers with the same size, this product is heavier and harder to transport.
- The cutting tool can use some improvement and enhancement to make it more efficient in shredding the wastes.
4. Yard Force 13-Amp Leaf Shredder YF8000
If cleaning up the yard and getting rid of heaps of leaves turn out to be a major production, you may want to use an efficient leaf shredder such as the YardForce 8000 to reduce your wastes in a matter of minutes. This tool can hold as much as 12 full bags of leaves and grass, which are turned into a single bag of mulch. Thus, your garden wastes become useful as they end up being used as an organic mulch to enrich your garden.
The unit comes with adjustable and stable legs, so there is no concern with keeping it balanced even when placed on uneven ground. Assembly and storage are quick and simple, as well.
If there are some things that can be improved on with this unit, it would be the length of the legs. It would be best if these are longer, so they could fit better over the tall bags. Also, the brush is a little difficult to replace. There is also a tendency for the debris to collect in the switch camber and motor over time.
- It can minimize 12 bags of yard wastes into just one bag of shredded debris.
- There are telescopic legs that can be adjusted and secured for balance.
- The compact size of the unit makes it effortless to store in your tool shed.
- The legs are not long enough to fit perfectly over tall paper bags.
- Be sure to inspect the motor and the switch camber since debris tends to gather in these areas and cause potential damage.
3.WORX 13 Amp Compact Electric Leaf Mulcher WG430
Nobody likes to deal with a huge pile of leaves and twigs in the yard. So, to make cleanup faster and more efficient, the Worx electric leaf mulcher is the best tool for the job. It comes with a 13-amp powerful motor that generates as much as 8,500 RPM for a quick shredding and mulching action. Since it is bladeless, this eliminates the safety risk that comes with metal blades in other mulchers.
In one minute, it can mulch as much as 53 gallons of garden waste. There is also a clean air and dust-reducing cooling system for the motor, along with a low-noise operation to make it a joy to use while protecting your ears.
Unfortunately, this unit cannot handle effectively small twigs as it uses a filament line as the leaf eater. Because of this, inserting a new line is necessary to make sure this type of garden waste is reduced in size.
- There are no metal blades that can be dangerous to deal with.
- The motor is quiet, yet powerful enough to mulch 53 gallons of waste in one minute.
- It features a motor cooling system with a dust-reducing and a clean-air design.
- Not capable of handling small twigs as efficiently as other brands of mulchers.
- You will have to insert another filament line each time to shred tougher and larger garden wastes.
2. Sun Joe 13 Amp Shredder Joe Electric Leaf Shredder and Mulcher SDJ616
This electric shredder and mulcher feature a 13 amp powerful motor that can minimize your waste to 1/16 of the original size for a cleaner and neater yard. All you need is to dump handfuls of debris including grass and leaves into the 19-inch spacious hopper, and this unit can immediately turn them all into mulch. The cutting diameter is at 12 inches in diameter and combined with the rugged trimmer line, you can expect this tool to mulch as much as 55 gallons of your garden waste in a minute.
There is a control dial with settings that you can adjust easily depending on the yard waste you are putting in such as grass clippings, pine needles, thatch, and leaves. At 13.4 pounds, it should be easy to move this tool around anywhere in the yard.
On dry leaves, this unit works flawlessly. However, it appears to have a bit of a problem with fresher and wetter leaves. It would also be better if there were more than 4 cutting lines to make the shredding process much faster and more efficient.
- The hopper is spacious and wide enough at 19 inches to hold a huge amount of grass clippings and leaves.
- The lightweight design gives you the ease in moving the unit around.
- There is a control dial to adjust the setting based on the type of waste you are putting into the unit.
- The unit seems to struggle when shredding wet leaves.
- More cutting lines would be ideal to ensure the efficiency in shredding garden wastes.
1.Eco-Shredder 14 Amp Electric Mulcher, Shredder, and Chipper ES1600
Since this unit runs on electricity, there is no need to use gasoline that emits harmful smoke while you operate this leaf mulcher. It features a top hopper that can shred debris such as leaves, twigs, and small branches in a snap. As for the side chute, it is capable of taking in branches with a maximum diameter of 1 3/8 inches. For a faster and more convenient yard reduction process, this unit comes with a 3-way feed and a 3-cycle mulching and shredding system.
Thus, the result is always consistent and uniform, making it a reliable yard tool for cleaning up your yard. In case it detects an overloading or jamming of items, it shuts off automatically as a safety feature. Lastly, the compact design makes it hassle-free to store in your shed without taking up much space.
Some people complain about the mess it creates as the shredded items tend to splatter all over the place. This is due to the design of the sides of the chute, which would be best if extended just a few inches off the front. The electrical cord also gets in the way, and this can get a bit annoying for some users whenever they move the unit from one place to another.
- It is an eco-friendly mulcher that runs on electricity instead of gasoline.
- Mulching and shredding are made more efficient because of the 3-cycle and 3-way feed system.
- It is a compact mulcher that you can store in a small shed without taking up too much floor space.
- The design of the side chutes and the rear can still be improved to prevent the splattering of the shredded leaves and branches.
- A clip on the legs would be ideal to keep the electric cord out of the way whenever you move the tool around.
The ten leaf mulches that have been reviewed in this guide are all exceptional products that will get the job done. The right one for you will depend on the size of your yard and the amount of leaves that you need to mulch. Hopefully, these reviews have helped you narrow down the list and choose a leaf mulcher that you’d like to purchase. If not, utilize our pre-purchase considerations to find one that is perfect for your needs.