Owning a pool is more of a dream for a lot of people. The ones that are fortunate enough to actually own one know how important maintenance really is. At the same time, they have a good idea of how difficult it is to maintain a pool clean. In some cases, it might be worth to actually pay someone to deal with a messy pool, but there are options.
On the long run, hiring a pool cleaning company can cost a lot of money while something such as an automatic pool cleaner will help save some dollars. They do require a larger initial investment, but there are plenty of advantages.
What Makes A Robot Better Than A Pool Cleaning Company?
As previously stated, a pool cleaning robot or an automatic cleaner can save money in the long run. Over their lifespan when the price is divided by the number of times it was used to clean the pool will make it easier to understand just how much money can be saved. Also, another big plus is the fact that it can be used night and day. It is silent and works completely independent. At the opposite pole, a pool cleaning company means calling them, setting up a date when someone can come, and it can only be done during the day. Basically, a robot will prove to be much more useful mainly because it can be used at any given time.
Safety has always been a concern when it comes to throwing an electrically powered device into the water. It is worth mentioning that even if a robotic pool cleaner needs to be powered by a 110 or 220-volt power outlet, the machine itself needs about 24 volts to run. This means that the power converter reduces the voltage to safe levels. Also, this means they are energy efficient, and if the cord is long enough, they can clean an entire pool completely unattended.
Best Robotic Pool Cleaners in 2018
The good news is that there are plenty of different robotic pool cleaners. They can vary quite a bit in terms of pricing and so does their performance. The more expensive ones usually have advanced sensors and can actually learn what the shape of the pool is. Basic models lack such features, but they still work decently. Also, they are significantly more affordable. Today we will go through the 10 most popular models available on the market. With no further ado here are the top 10 best robotic pool cleaners in 2018 reviews.
- 10. Dolphin Quantum Robotic Inground Pool Cleaner
- 9. Aquabot Pool Rover Hybrid Robotic Pool Cleaner
- 8. Hayward RC9990CUB TigerShark Quick Clean Robotic Pool Cleaner
- 7. Hayward RC9740 SharkVac Automatic Robotic Pool Cleaner
- 6. Smartpool NC22 SmartKleen-Robotic Pool Cleaner
- 5. Aquabot ABTTJET Turbo T Jet Robotic In-Ground Pool Cleaner
- 4. Polaris 9300 Sport Robotic In Ground Pool Cleaner
- 3. Aquabot Pool Rover S2
- 2. Aquabot APRVJR Pool Rover Junior Robotic Above-Ground Pool Cleaner
- 1. Dolphin Nautilus Robotic Pool Cleaner with Swivel Cable
10. Dolphin Quantum Robotic Inground Pool Cleaner
The Dolphin Quantum Robotic pool cleaner is not a very popular pick mainly because it is quite expensive. From the outside, it does not look much different than a cheap model but it does feel a bit sturdier, and the materials used seem to be more durable. On the inside, its advanced hardware makes it very efficient and capable of perfectly cleaning an entire pool.
For the robot, the manufacturers used a dual scrubbing system with individual brushes. Its cleaning cartridges can be installed on the top while the micron filters can be adjusted. Using an advanced navigation system, the robot will be able to map the pool and remember which areas have been cleaned and which ones have not been covered. Its long power cord makes it completely independent while the rubber covered wheels ensure it will be able to climb steps.
- High efficiency
- Advanced sensors
- Well built
9. Aquabot Pool Rover Hybrid Robotic Pool Cleaner
The Aquabot Pool Rover Hybrid robotic pool cleaner is a simple machine that was made to be an affordable option for any pool owner. It is an affordable robot that can work automatically as long as the pool size does not exceed a diameter of 24 feet. For such a compact robot the device can do a fairly good job. It can properly clean a pool almost entirely unattended.
For the money, users will get a jet-propelled robot with advanced sensors that ensure it will properly cover the pool floor. It uses extra wide wheels, and it is very easy to use. The model comes with advanced filters that can be reused and a microfiber bag to store the dirt without spreading it into the water. It can even handle printed vinyl pool bottoms and requires very little maintenance.
- Great coverage
- Not so great built quality
8. Hayward RC9990CUB TigerShark Quick Clean Robotic Pool Cleaner
Hayward RC9990CUB TigerShark is one of the most advanced models that comes with a higher price tag. This translates into more reliability and a premium build quality. It uses advanced technology that helps it clean the pool properly and run completely automatic. To achieve this, the manufacturers used advanced sensors and a simple cartridge filtration system.
Similar to other robotic cleaners the model runs separately from the pool filtration system. It uses cartridges that are easy to replace and comes with a powerful and energy efficient 24-volt motor. The model does not use any additional attachments and comes with a very long power cord.
- High-quality build
- Advanced sensors
- Easy to use
- Heavy, difficult to move around
7. Hayward RC9740 SharkVac Automatic Robotic Pool Cleaner
Hayward RC9740 SharkVac is a great model for the ones that need a decent machine. It was made to be easy to use and work completely automatic. What makes it a great pick is the fact that it is very compact and quite lightweight. Being smaller also means that it is not as efficient as the larger machines that have wider brushes. On the other hand, the model was designed to be easy to handle.
From a price tag point of view, the model is balanced. It is well made and uses a cartridge filtration system. They can be accessed by opening the top side. The robot can vacuum and scrub the floor, and with the aid of its guidance sensors, the model can cover the floor properly.
- Not as fast as larger machines
- Build quality could have been better
6. Smartpool NC22 SmartKleen-Robotic Pool Cleaner
Smartpool is a brand that managed to impress with some of its robotic pool cleaners. It offers multiple models amongst which we have the NC22. The NC22 is quite compact and comes with a surprisingly low price tag. It a great choice for the ones that do not want to spend too much and want something basic without any fancy features.
The model uses an intelligent system to navigate and clean the entire floor. It has wide brushes that collect the dirt using an advanced filtration system. According to the manufacturers, the robot works great of vinyl surfaces, fiberglass, and concrete pools. An interesting feature is a draining system that makes it lightweight when removing it from the pool. Also, it includes a 40-foot power cord that makes it easy to use even if the power outlet is not very close to the pool.
- Very cheap
- Long power cord
- Not as sturdy as some of the other models
- Have some issues working on concrete floors
5. Aquabot ABTTJET Turbo T Jet Robotic In-Ground Pool Cleaner
Aquabot ABTTJET is yet another advanced machine that comes with a decent price tag and good performance. For the money, the robot is quite reliable with the aid of its internal hardware and a decent build quality. It has large wheels covered with a rubber material that ensures it can move without slipping and uses extra white rolls to clean the floor of the pool.
The model can vacuum and clean the pool. It works on multiple types of surfaces and can work completely unattended. A useful feature is a swivel that ensures the cable will not get tangled. Its internal filter is easy to remove and just as easy to clean. The sensors used help it cover the pool floor without leaving any surfaces dirty. If there is one thing that could have been improved that is its weight. It is fairly heavy, but it is energy efficient.
- Energy efficient
- Works on multiple types of floors
- The rubberized wheels tend to wear out quite easy
- Not very lightweight
4. Polaris 9300 Sport Robotic In Ground Pool Cleaner
There are many great things that can be said about the Polaris 9300 Sports Robotic in Ground Pool Cleaner. It is an advanced and compact machine that was designed to work with all types of surfaces. It can handle vinyl, concrete, and fiberglass. The model is part of the premium range which means that it is also more expensive but it is much more reliable.
The robot uses the Vortex Vacuum Technology that maintains the same suction power while cleaning the pool. It has a large top panel that can be opened to access the filter compartment. The filters are very easy to clean and replace. As a bonus, the manufacturers included a transport caddy. It is reasonably lightweight and comes with a long power cord.
- Comes with a protective carry case
- Price tag
3. Aquabot Pool Rover S2
The Aquabot Pool Rover S2 is one of the most popular budget models. Its low price tag does not mean it is inferior to its larger counterparts. In fact, there are very few other models in the same price range that offer the same suction power and performance. At the same time, the model is energy efficient and can work on multiple types of surface. Its long power cord allows it to move freely away from a wall power outlet while its swivel system prevents tangling.
For this robot, the manufacturers used guidance sensors that allow the robot to track which part of the surface has been cleaned and which is still dirty. The robot works completely independently and works on all types of surfaces. The only thing that can be improved is the build quality as at times the plastic body might feel cheap.
- Low price tag
- Good coverage and accurate tracking of the cleaned surface
- Long power cord
- The plastic body of the robot feels cheap
2. Aquabot APRVJR Pool Rover Junior Robotic Above-Ground Pool Cleaner
The Aquabot APRVJR is one of the most popular models on the market. Its success is mainly due to its low price tag. For the money, the robot works very well making it is a great pick for the ones that do not want to spend a lot of money. It is simple, compact, easy to use and quite energy efficient. Surprisingly its build quality is also quite decent which further explains why the model has been selling so well since it was first introduced by Aquabot.
In terms of actual performance, the robot can work on all types of pools. It can clean floors covered in vinyl, fiberglass and even pool made out of concrete. It uses an energy efficient 24-volt motor that is capable of vacuuming and cleaning flat surfaces. The model does not have any additional hoses or accessories that need to be attached making it very convenient to use.
- Very cheap
- Long power cord
1. Dolphin Nautilus Robotic Pool Cleaner with Swivel Cable
Dolphin Nautilus offers great value for money. It is the perfect choice for the ones that need something balanced that can offer performance for a reasonable price tag. Its build quality makes it quite sturdy which a protective plastic enclosure. It can clean any type of pool floor and requires very little maintenance. Its filters are very easy to access and clean. At the same time, the long power cable allows it to clean even large pool.
Similar to other models the robot uses a brush system that scrubs the floor and vacuums the dirt. Its advanced sensors allow it to keep track of the surface cleaned making it very efficient. Also, the robot can climb on walls and can clean covers which are something that not many robotic pool cleaners can do especially for this price.
- Works on floors, coves, and walls
- Great price tag
- Energy efficient
- Advanced cleaning system using accurate sensors
Things To Keep In Mind
A lot of people might be tempted to just go for a cheap model. While it is true that the cheap models do work well, they do not offer the same features as more expensive robotic pool cleaners. A cheap model usually cleans just the floor. More advanced and implicitly more expensive models can also climb on walls and clean coves.
Another thing that is important to look at is the surfaces they can clean. Not all robots can handle for example a concrete pool. When looking at various models, it is important to be sure that it can clean the right type of pool surface. A lot of people buy pool cleaners and end up thinking they are bad or inefficient but do not realize they purchased the wrong type of model.
Robotic Pool Cleaner Selection Tips
If you own a swimming pool, you may be thinking about investing in a robotic pool cleaner. The benefits of these are abundant. Robotic pool cleaners can help people who wish to maintain swimming pools that are perfectly clean and in fine working order. What doesn’t self-respecting swimming pool owner want that?
- Robotic pool cleaners can promote healthy and comfortable swimming pools. If you want to clean your pool without having to rely on excessive amounts of chemicals, these cleaners can do the job well. Their advantages go beyond just thorough pool cleaning work, however. Robotic pool cleaners can be highly convenient to people who don’t have a lot of time to spare. Using them can be a total piece of cake.
- If you want to start cleaning, all you have to do is plug the device in, put the bot inside the swimming pool and hit a button. The process honestly is as simple as that. People who are constantly searching for easier, quicker and more efficient ways to manage their pool cleaning duties can definitely get behind robotic cleaners. Relying on a robotic pool cleaner is a lot more affordable than recruiting the assistance of a professional pool service company, too. Costs for professional cleaning services can add up quickly. Keeping up with them can be extremely tough.
- There are many robotic pool cleaners available on the market these days. That’s why it can sometimes be hard for pool owners to select them well. The choices can be quite overwhelming and confusing.
- If you want to make a solid robotic pool cleaner choice, think about the exact kind of pool you have. There are robotic pool cleaners that are ideal for above ground swimming pools. There are also robotic cleaners that are optimal for in-ground swimming pools. It’s important to go with a robotic cleaner that can accommodate your individual pool. Purchasing a robotic cleaner that’s fitting for above ground pools can be a major mistake for in-ground pool owners. It’s important to never approach robotic pool cleaner selection quickly or carelessly.
- Robotic pool cleaners run the gamut. Some of them are equipped with all kinds of exciting and convenient features. There are others, however, that is a lot more simplistic and basic. If you want to make a smart robotic cleaner choice, you have to take your budget into consideration. People who are willing to spend more money may want to consider robotic pool cleaners that come with extras including “Quick Clean” and sensors that detect when users are out of the water. People who are interested in more basic cleaning assistance, on the other hand, may want to stick with their more “no frills” options in robotic pool cleaners. The great news is that there are robotic pool cleaners on the market that are perfect for all needs and preferences.
- Think about the size of your swimming pool. Don’t buy a robotic cleaner until you check its dimensions. There are robotic pool cleaners that are suitable for pools that are on the smaller side. There are also robotic cleaners that are appropriate for larger ones. If you impulsively purchase a robotic cleaner, you could end up with a device that just isn’t a good match for the size of your pool. That can be a true headache.
If you want to be perfectly happy with your robotic pool cleaner choice, you have to be diligent, focused and detail-oriented. You have to be willing to research all of the finest options in front of you. You have to be eager to put in the required time as well.