Clean drinking water is not a luxury, but it is a necessity in life. It is just as important as good food and fresh air since it has a huge impact on your health. With this in mind, it makes perfect sense to invest in a good quality water filter system that will keep your drinking water pure, fresh, and safe for your health. Never compromise your health by opting for unclean water that will make you more susceptible to diseases. This is why we have prepared for you the best drinking water filter system in 2018 reviews and buyer’s guide to help you select the right product to purchase for your needs.
Natural sources of water are exposed to a wide range of issues because of the changes in climate, increasing issue with pollution, and toxic wastes that make our water unsafe to drink. Thus, there is a massive demand for pure and quality water that is safe to drink. You can find various brands of bottled water in stores, yet buying these is not the practical way to go considering the price you have to pay each time. So, a smart way to save money on drinking water is by purchasing a reliable water filter system that can eliminate contaminants present in tap water such as bacteria, heavy metals, pesticides, chlorine, as well as inorganic and organic compounds. Some water filtration systems can also remove the taste and smell of water, so what comes out of the unit is nothing but pure and nourishing water your body needs.
Best Drinking Water Filter System 2017
Here, we feature 10 of the top-rated water filtration systems in the market today. Find out more about the benefits, features, and limitations of each, so you could make an informed decision you will never regret.
- 10.Home Master TMAFC Full Contact Artesian Under-sink Reverse-Osmosis Water Filtration System
- 9.iSpring 6-Stage Reverse Osmosis Under the Sink Water Filter System 75 GPD Alkaline Remineralization Water Filter
- 8.Express Water 10-Stage Reverse Osmosis Alkaline Water Filter System for Home with Antioxidant Remineralization Water Filter 50 GPD
- 7.APEC Ultimate RO-90 Top Tier Supreme 90 GPD Certified High Flow Reverse Osmosis Water Filter System
- 6.Olympia Water Systems Reverse Osmosis 5-Stage Water Filtration System OROS-50 with 50 GPD Membrane
- 5.APEC Top Tier Ultra Safe 5-Stage Reverse Osmosis Water Filter System (ESSENCE ROES-50)
- 4.iSpring Certified WQA Gold Seal 5-Stage RO Water Filter System RCC7 75 GPD
- 3. 5-Stage Replacement/Portable System Ultra Safe 5-Stage RO Water Filter System 50 GPD
- 2.AquaLutio 5-Stage RO Water Filter System 75 GPD Under-Sink Design with Faucet Included
- 1.Brio Reverse Osmosis 5-Stage Water Filter System 50 GPD
- Guide to Buying a Water Filter System
- Additional Tips to Know
10.Home Master TMAFC Full Contact Artesian Under-sink Reverse-Osmosis Water Filtration System
Enjoy the taste of fresh and clean water that is completely safe for you and your family to drink. The Home Master Reverse Osmosis water filter makes use of 7 advanced stages of water filtration and purification. It is capable of removing as much as 99 percent of contaminants present in the water such as dissolved solids, heavy metals, chloramines, pharmaceuticals, and other chemicals. With the reverse osmosis system, the use of catalytic carbon filtration component in the unit’s carbon prefilters treats chloramine that regular carbon filters cannot remove. In addition, the full contact remineralization feature of this filtration system aids in balancing the pH level of water. This leads to the great taste and clean quality of water that is slightly alkaline at the same time. There is also a modular filter to this unit, which means the filters are the only ones you need to change instead of the entire housing. As a result, changing the filter is only done annually, plus it is efficient and simple to do.
If there is one thing that you may consider as not-so-appealing about this product, it would be the price tag. This is not a cheap water filter system, but you can expect outstanding results and total satisfaction from your purchase. Considering the benefits you can reap from this unit, the amount of money you put in is indeed worth it in the end.
- Eliminates up to 99 percent of all contaminants in the drinking water.
- Helps balance the water’s pH level to make it slightly alkaline and great-tasting.
- You only need to change the filter instead of the housing.
- The upfront cost of this unit is a bit high
9.iSpring 6-Stage Reverse Osmosis Under the Sink Water Filter System 75 GPD Alkaline Remineralization Water Filter
This iSpring water filter system uses the reverse osmosis technique while remineralizing water and balancing the pH level. The filter has part calcite and red mineral stone, which leads to a mineral water taste and quality of water. As for the main body of the unit, it is just the right size that makes it fit perfectly under the sink. Aside from the water filter, this product contains a faucet made of solid brass with a brushed smooth nickel finish. You will need to mount the faucet on the counter, and this serves as the water’s main output source. However, you can also connect the output lines to the coffee maker, ice maker, or refrigerator output. As for the installation process, it is quite straightforward. This makes it easy for DIY-ers to get the system all set up for use. You can also easily contact the tech support representatives for inquiries or assistance or watch videos that feature how-to guides for the installation and set up of this unit.
Some people complain about the odd taste of the water, which makes it not so enticing for them. Although the TDS meter presents the values 12 to 17 ppm, the strange taste baffles some users. But at the same time, you can be sure that harmful components and contaminants are eliminated from the water, which makes it a great addition to your kitchen.
- Makes use of the reverse osmosis system to eliminate all unhealthy and harmful components in water.
- The pH level of water is neutralized to keep it safe to drink.
- Includes a solid and elegant brass faucet with brushed nickel finish.
- There are some users who notice the odd taste of the filtered water from this unit.
8.Express Water 10-Stage Reverse Osmosis Alkaline Water Filter System for Home with Antioxidant Remineralization Water Filter 50 GPD
Alkaline water is ideal to drink as it maintains the right pH level of your body. This is why this unit is a great investment for your home as the quality of water it produces is pure, clean, and safe to drink. With the micro cluster technology in this unit, this enhances the hydration and energy level while boosting the antioxidants level in your body. Antioxidants aid in neutralizing free radicals that are the common sources of hypertension, diabetes, cancer, and other ailments. This water filter system also increases the mineral component in your bodies such as magnesium, calcium, sodium, and potassium while at the same time increasing the oxygen level in the water by up to 20 percent compared with regular water produced from other filtration systems. Acidic wastes are eliminated, so you can be sure that your health is not compromised as you drink the water produced from this unit.
It may be worth noting that when it comes to the installation process of this unit, some issues may occur if you only have one sink. For those who have a sink with a garbage disposal, it is not recommended to mount the unit’s drain hose to the one 1/2-inch pipe that comes off of the disposal system. This is why you may have to check your sink to make sure it is compatible with this water filter unit’s design.
- Boosts the hydration, antioxidant, and energy level in your body through pure drinking water.
- Provides ample mineral supply to your body including magnesium, sodium, potassium, and calcuim.
- Removes the acidic component in water and makes it higher in mineral content.
- Some people encountered an issue when installing the unit in their sink with a garbage disposal.
7.APEC Ultimate RO-90 Top Tier Supreme 90 GPD Certified High Flow Reverse Osmosis Water Filter System
When it comes to drinking fresh and clean water, you can guarantee total satisfaction from this unit. This is premium-quality reverse osmosis system that has met the high standards of authorities while bearing the WQA gold seal. Thus, you can be sure that this unit has a high removal rate of all contaminants to ensure the safety of your drinking water. In fact, this water filter unit can eliminate about 99 percent of contaminants including toxic fluoride, lead, chromium, arsenic, chlorine, chromium, odor, and taste in water. As a US-made unit, you can be sure of its highest quality and standards. There are 5 stages of water filtration including the removal of dust particles and rust, elimination of cloudiness, odors and taste, and the refinement of the final output after all the chemicals and contaminants are removed. As for the installation process, it is a breeze, so there is nothing to worry about since there is a manual included to guide you along the way. There is also no noise as the filter operates.
It is important to note that during the first run, you should never drink the first 2 to 3 tanks of water. Just let it drain as you turn the tap on. The next runs should be safe to drink the water coming out is already truly filtered. Also, it would be best if there were more options for the feed water adapter. Otherwise, you may have a problem making it work well with your pipes, along with the fact that you need to spend a few dollars for purchasing an adapter compatible with your existing pipes.
- Can remove 99 percent of contaminants in the water including odor and taste.
- There is a manual included with comprehensive steps on how to install the unit.
- This is a well-made and high-quality unit that has the WQA gold seal for excellence.
- It is unsafe to drink the initial 2 to 3 tanks during the first few runs.
- It would be better if there were more options available for the feed water adapter.
6.Olympia Water Systems Reverse Osmosis 5-Stage Water Filtration System OROS-50 with 50 GPD Membrane
This water filter system is an NSF-certified unit that performs the reverse osmosis technique in ensuring the health and safety of the water that you drink. It is certified to minimize taste, odor, and chlorine after having gone through rigorous testing. Moreover, it has been certified to reduce total dissolved solids to maintain the cleanliness and purity of water. Through a 5-stage filtration process, the water goes through various filters in the unit beginning with the 5-micron sediment up to the post carbon water filter. The installation process is simple and straightforward as there are quick-connect fittings with color guides to help you determine how to assemble the entire unit. Included in the package is a faucet with a swivel spout design and a chrome finish. Lastly, there is a mounting range of half an inch to 1 1/2 inches for the installation on your countertop or sink.
Although it claims to be quick and easy to install, it may be best to hire a plumber to do the installation for you. This is recommended for those who have no plumbing experience or skill, just to be sure that the unit is set up correctly. But overall, it is a well-designed and great quality product that works as expected. So, you can expect the best bang for your buck by choosing this item.
- The water comes out clean and pure after passing through a 5-stage filtration process.
- There is an elegant chrome-finish swivel spout faucet included in the package.
- All the components are NSF-certified for maximum quality and performance.
- Professional help may be necessary for the proper installation of the unit.
5.APEC Top Tier Ultra Safe 5-Stage Reverse Osmosis Water Filter System (ESSENCE ROES-50)
Why spend several dollars on bottled water, when you can enjoy fine-tasting and clean drinking water that comes out of this water filter system? The ROES-50 utilizes the reverse osmosis process in filtering the water to make sure that 99 percent of harmful contaminants are eliminated from the water. These components include toxic fluoride, chromium, lead, arsenic, chlorine, as well as taste and odor. Thus, you can make sure that the water you drink is always pure and safe for your health. All the components of this unit are designed and assembled in the United States. Its manufacturer is WQA-certified, which means every unit sold is guaranteed to be noise-free and trouble-free to use, which ensures the durability and high performance of the water filter. You can also install this unit in your kitchen cabinet as it comes with a standard design suitable for this location. Included in the package are the quick-connect fittings, the water filter tank, and a faucet with lead-free and chrome finish.
When installing the water filter system, you will have to drill a half-inch hole to be able to mount properly the faucet. Some of the faucets need a 1 1/2-inch hole, which can be an issue if you have a sink made from granite or composite due to the tough quality of the material that makes it hard to drill nails into.
- The WQA-certified manufacturer ensures the superior quality of the product.
- This unit does not generate noise or any signs of trouble during use.
- All the fittings are easy to connect, which makes the assembly process simple and quick.
- It may be necessary for you to drill a 1.5-inch hole to the sink for you to install the faucet.
- Drilling may be a bit of a challenge in case you have a harder material for the sink such as composite or granite.
4.iSpring Certified WQA Gold Seal 5-Stage RO Water Filter System RCC7 75 GPD
Instead of allotting money to bottled water purchases, you can expect more savings while ensuring your satisfaction by using this water filter system for your drinking water. This unit can filter over 1000 types of water contaminants and pollutants including fluoride and chlorine. There is a thin film semi permeable composite reverse osmosis membrane in this unit, and it is responsible for filtering water to 0.0001 microns. As a certified WQA gold seal water filter system, this unit is unparalleled in terms of safety, durability, and quality. It makes use of PP sediment, granular activated carbon, reverse osmosis, and carbon block components to ensure the superior quality of water that comes out of the unit. The tank and the unit are designed to fit perfectly in under-sink cabinets, so there is no hassle in the installation. There is also a faucet made from solid brass included, which you can mount on the counter that serves as the water’s output source. However, you may also connect the output lines to your coffee maker or ice maker if you prefer. This item follows a streamlined installation process that makes it suitable for DIY-ers. There are also videos and written manuals to guide you, as well as tech support specialists to assist you anytime you need help.
This is a good unit, but with a few caveats. For instance, the hoses are a tad short for some users, which means you may need to buy longer hoses to complete the installation process. There were also some customers who complained about the small size of the mounting bracket, along with its flimsy quality. On the other hand, the filters’ bracket is sturdy, which means it would have been better if the same material and build applied to the mounting bracket. The installation is straightforward, but it is a bit lengthy at around 3 hours max.
- This is a certified WQA gold seal water filter made from sturdy materials to ensure its durability and excellent performance.
- The entire system including the tank can fit without any problem in most types of under-sink cabinets.
- It is capable of filtering 1000 contaminants in the water to achieve its purest quality.
- The hoses included in the package may be small, according to some users.
- The installation can take up to 3 hours, although there are several videos and a manual included to guide you along the way.
3. 5-Stage Replacement/Portable System Ultra Safe 5-Stage RO Water Filter System 50 GPD
When it comes to the performance of this unit, you will be pleased by how it can reduce the TDS to under 10, based on some actual users’ experience. This is a 5-stage water filter, which means the water that comes out is guaranteed to be pure and free from harsh contaminants unsafe for your health. It can generate 50 psi right out of the tap, and you can get at least 1:6 ratio (a gallon drinking vs. 6 gallons of waste water). If you want, you may choose not to connect it to the reservoir tank, so you can allow the waste water to get into your spare bottles for use in the laundry or for watering the plants. Right out of the package, this unit is fully assembled, and there are quick-connect fittings included.
This is a reasonably-priced water filter with just the necessary parts for purifying your water. However, there are some issues with noise when you flush the water right out of the reverse osmosis membrane. The sound is tolerable, though, which does not cause any disturbance at home.
- The water is filtered through a 5-stage process to ensure its purity and safety for your health.
- There is no need to assemble the unit because it is ready to use right out of the box.
- The price is reasonable for the quality you can expect from this unit.
- Some noise is generated whenever you flush the water from the RO membrane.
2.AquaLutio 5-Stage RO Water Filter System 75 GPD Under-Sink Design with Faucet Included
This RO filter unit uses the 5-stage process in purifying water to produce the cleanest and purest quality of water for drinking purposes. The entire system can fit under the sink, and it is guaranteed to be safe and reliable as it meets the high standards of quality assurance. The Aqualutio water filter system can get rid of 99 percent of over 1000 pollutants in the water such as fluoride, arsenic, pathogens, THMs, PFOS, PFOA, sulfur, lead, and pesticides. Aside from eliminating these contaminants, the water filter also enhances the taste of water. Thus, you can be sure that the water you drink is clean and fresh-tasting all the time. This unit is designed to fit perfectly a standard size kitchen cabinet. There are also quick-connect fittings included, so you no longer need to use additional lock clips to seal any leak.
Keep in mind that if you want to tighten the valve, you will have to be gentle with it to prevent this component from breaking. Another option is to use a Teflon tape, but at the same time, refrain from over-tightening the valve. But in addition to the slight leaking issue, the washer was a tad small and not the right size for the hose opening on the sink, according to some users. This is why a larger washer is ideal.
- The Aqualution water filtration system can eliminate up to 99 percent of contaminants in the water including heavy metals, odor, and taste.
- There is a 5-stage process that the water goes through to ensure its purity and cleanliness.
- All you need to use to install and set up this unit are available in the package.
- The valve is quite delicate and is sure not to overtighten it to prevent it from breaking.
- Some people notice that the washer is not the right size for their needs.
1.Brio Reverse Osmosis 5-Stage Water Filter System 50 GPD
The Brio RO 5-stage water filtration system is designed to offer you and your family a safe and clean drinking water for optimum health. For instance, this unit is guaranteed to eliminate as much as 99 percent of toxic materials, heavy metal, virus, bacteria, and other unhealthy components in water. This is why through the 5-stage filtration process, your water comes out pure and refreshing, along with a great taste that surpasses what you can expect from bottled water. There are quick-connect fittings included, which makes the installation process seamless. Aside from the filter system, there is a chrome faucet that is 100 percent lead-free that adds to the safety and superior quality of this unit. The tubing is made from food-grade materials, so your water is completely pure and free from contamination. As for the assembly process, it is quick and simple. There are color coded pieces with numbers and the instructions are clearly written.
Perhaps the only thing to note about this unit is the information indicated in the manual. Be sure to follow the steps carefully to prevent any issue with the unit and to keep the water in excellent condition.
- The components are durable, solid, and made of the finest materials.
- The food-grade tubing adds to your peace of mind in keeping the water contaminant-free.
- Installation is simple even if you have no plumbing experience.
- Follow the instructions in the manual carefully to get the unit properly installed.
Guide to Buying a Water Filter System
Are you sure about the quality of water that you and your family are drinking? Unfortunately, there are so many hazards that are threats to our drinking water including lead, pesticides, bacteria, and virus. These are not only impacting cities but also well water sources. This is why you need to make sure that the water you drink is always clean and pure.
Although some people may resort to simply buying bottled water, this is not the practical way to go since the cost tends to add up. Even if a bottle appears to be cheap, in the long run, you may notice the massive expenses you accumulate in a year. So, the best way to do it is by investing in a good quality water filter system as a permanent and practical solution to having a constant access to fresh drinking water.
Keep in mind that a water filter’s effectiveness largely depends on its ability to remove particular contaminants by using a certain technology. When it comes to removing inorganic substances including minerals, asbestos, salts, and metals, a Reverse Osmosis water filtration system is the right choice for this purpose. This unit usually comes with carbon pre-filters, as well as post-filters that can capture sediment, radon, THMs, and herbicides. The filter can also get rid of lead, but others fail to eliminate chlorine completely. Some models advertise to do so, but you may want to request a proof of performance to back such claims.
If you are planning on buying a reverse osmosis filter, then here are some things to look into to ensure your satisfaction from your purchase.
1. Large Capacity: While a pitcher water filter may be cheap, it has a limited capacity that makes it less ideal for a large family. You want to have a constant supply of pure drinking water, and buying a very large pitcher may not even fit in the refrigerator. This is why a faucet-mounted, under-sink, or countertop water filter may be better choices considering the convenience they give you in providing quality water to drink anytime you want.
2. Flow Rate: There are some water filters with a very slow flow rate while others have a moderate flow rate. If you opt for the latter, you can get gallons of water without the long wait. But you have to realize that over time, some filtration units slow down its flow rate when it is nearing the end of its lifespan. You can always change the filter to solve this issue.
3. Filtering Components: A number of water filter systems make use of carbon to absorb all impurities and odor each time water passes through this material. As for a multi-stage filter, this can eliminate contaminants, with the semi-permeable membranes of RO systems being capable of flushing massive amounts of pollutants.
4. Indicators for Filter Change: You need to know when exactly is the right time for you to change the filter, so you can maintain the excellent operation of the unit. Thus, go for a water filter that comes with an indicator to help you determine when the filter must be changed. Some units come with stickers or timers to remind you once the third or sixth month has passed.
5. Certifications: All manufacturers test their water filter systems, but you need to take it to the next level and require an actual certification as proof to back up such claims. Go for water filtration units that are certified by the Water Quality Association (WQA) or the NSF International. These independent and highly recognized organizations have reliable databases that allow consumers to search the model’s overall quality and effectiveness.
Additional Tips to Know
Be sure to identify the contaminants that affect the water you drink. Some water sources are more prone to heavy metal and chlorine, while others have other issues. This is why contacting your local water supplier can help in providing you information, as well as coordinating with a water tester who is state-certified. By doing so, you can determine which water filter you need according to the types of contaminant or issues concerning your water sources.
We hope that we were able to help you choose the best water filter system for your needs. Be sure to check each item carefully and base your decisions once you have your water tested to achieve total satisfaction with your purchase.