A popular ride that’s taken the world by storm, the hoverboard a.k.a. self-balancing scooter, is designed to give kids and adults alike a fun recreation like no other. It looks a bit like a skateboard, moves slightly similar to it, but there’s no kicking involved. You just step on it, lean in your preferred direction where you want to take this ride, and you’re off to joining the cool cats in town! This is why if you’ve been wanting to try this hands-free scooter, this top 10 best hoverboards & self balancing scooters 2017 reviews and buyer’s guide should get you started in choosing the right product for you.
First, let’s get down to the basics. What exactly is the hoverboard and how does it work? This two-wheeled ride comes with internal gyroscopes built right into the unit. It is responsible for detecting the rider’s movement to take him or her to the desired direction. Leaning in a certain direction activates the electric motor, so you can either go left, right, or straight, depending on what you want this ride to do. Sounds pretty safe? Well, it should be, once you make sure your hoverboard is UL-certified. With past reports on accidents and injuries linked with this device, you should consider buying one that is designated to be safe by the Underwriters’ Laboratories (UL). This way, you can be sure that your board has met safety standards. Then, you can ride with ease and confidence knowing that there are no unexpected issues to come along.
Best Hoverboards & Self Balancing Scooters 2017
With all these in mind, let us head over to our top 10 list of the best hoverboards in 2017. Find out more about our top picks as you check their features, pros, and cons, so you can determine which item works for you best.
- 10.UL2272 Certified Hoverboard Smart Self Balancing Adult Transporter (with LED light)
- 9.Razor Hovertrax Self-Balancing 2.0 Hoverboard Smart Scooter
- 8.Hoverboard UL2272 Certified Two-wheel VEEKO Self-balancing Scooter
- 7.Jetson V8 3-Speed Mode Self Balancing Scooter with Built-in Speakers and All-Terrain Heavy Duty Tires
- 6. Official Halo Rover UL 2272 Safety Certified Hoverboard
- 5.SagaPlay F1 Motorized Self Balancing 2-Wheel Scooter Hover Balance UL 2272/ CSA Certified
- 4.Self-Balancing 2-Wheel Scooter UL-Certified Electric Hoverboard
- 3.SpadgerUL 2272 Certified Self Balancing Scooter with Bluetooth
- 2.SWAGTRON T6 Off-Road Electric Hoverboard
- 1.TOMOLOO Black Hoveroard with Smartphone App, RGB lights, and Bluetooth Speaker (UL 2272 Certified)
- Buying Guide on Hoverboards
10.UL2272 Certified Hoverboard Smart Self Balancing Adult Transporter (with LED light)
Cruise around the neighborhood as you show off your riding skills while aboard this cool hoverboard. If you want to try something different for a ride, this may be just the thing for you. It’s powered by Li-Ion rechargeable battery, which is built right into the system. This means that aside from saving you from having to keep buying batteries, the way it’s powered makes it an eco-friendly ride. You will like how smooth, easy, and comfortable the ride is to keep you safe as you zip around town. It also features an electric gyroscope built into the board, and this enables you to maintain an upright position while in motion. The same holds true with the 4 sensors that ensure your balance. Plus, with the LED lights, this adds to the safety of this self-balancing scooter, particularly when you are riding in dim light situations.
While this hoverboard seems to packed with so many spectacular features, there were some people who complained about the wheels over time. These tend to get a little hotter after hours of use, which means it is best to not run the hoverboard for several hours to avoid this issue.
- Intuitive and smart control allow riders to shift their body weight with ease.
- On a full charge, it can go up to 10 miles depending on the rider’s weight or terrain.
- Offers a maximum speed range that go from 6 up to 10 miles per hour.
- Features hollow tires to ensure you of a smooth and comfortable ride.
- Includes bluetooth speakers to let you listen to your favorite hits while riding.
- Has a lightweight design, which makes it appear somewhat flimsy.
- Tends to make some noise after a long ride.
- Wheels appear to get hotter after hours of cruising around on this hoverboard.
9.Razor Hovertrax Self-Balancing 2.0 Hoverboard Smart Scooter
Get the thrill that you’ve been wanting from this self-balancing smart scooter from Razor. The 2.0 hoverboard is small enough to let you maneuver with ease, yet it’s got ample space for you to maintain your balance. With auto levels integrated into the system, you can mount, get off, and ride smoothly and effortlessly all the time. You can use this for racing, easy cruising, or even when commuting without any problem at all. It features a cruising speed that goes over 8 miles per hour and up to 60 minutes of total run time on a single full charge of the battery. Getting started should be easy because there is no assembly or intricate setup required. It comes ready to use out of the box, and users 8 years and above should enjoy this excellent eco-friendly ride.
It is without a doubt a well-made and sturdy hoverboard that has met safety standards to give you the peace of mind while cruising around on it. However, it may take some balance, skill, and coordination to fully enjoy this ride, particularly for those who have no prior experience with a hoverboard. Once you get the hang of it, then it won’t be surprising to get hooked on this fun and exciting self-balancing scooter.
- Comes with new features such as the LED lights for the battery life monitor, fender bumpers, LED light bars
- Non-slip foot platform made of rubber keeps you stable and firmly in place.
- Polymer frame is shatter-resistant and built to last for a long time.
- Uses a 350-watt motor (dual hub) that makes sure this scooter runs silently.
- UL-certified and has met all standards for safety.
- Features a self-leveling design, but can be tricky for new riders.
- Getting up and riding will require practice and some coordination.
8.Hoverboard UL2272 Certified Two-wheel VEEKO Self-balancing Scooter
If you’ve been craving for a whole new experience in riding, then this 2-wheel hoverboard from VEEKO would never let you down. It is a UL 2272-certified hoverboard that is completely safe as it has passed strict standards from the UL. Whether you are a child, teen, or adult, you should be able to enjoy the smooth and fun ride that this self-balancing scooter has to offer. It includes a 350-watt dual motor, which can hold as much as 225 pounds of weight of the rider and still offer a maximum of 9.6 miles per hour of speed. Made from a lightweight casing, this hoverboard is durable and easy to bring along wherever you go. In fact, it weighs only 10 kilos, so you can just grab it and take with you during your commute or each time you feel like cruising along the streets. With an acceleration sensor and professional gyroscope built into it, maintaining your balance does not have to be a pain anymore.
Some people complain that this hoverboard has a bit of a heft to it, although the manufacturer claims it only weighs about 10 kilograms. This is why there are those who may find it a little inconvenient to take with them, unlike how it works with a regular skateboard. It also seems a bit pricey, but then again you get what you pay for from this well-built hoverboard.
- Features an alarm that notifies you once you are getting closer to the maximum allowable speed.
- Comes with an indicator light (blue LED) that also adds to the aesthetics and safety of the scooter.
- Charges efficiently and quickly, and it can hold a charge for a considerable length of time.
- As compared with other hoverboards, this unit is somewhat heavier.
- The price is a little steep, which may be a concern for buyers who are on a certain budget.
7.Jetson V8 3-Speed Mode Self Balancing Scooter with Built-in Speakers and All-Terrain Heavy Duty Tires
For those who want to take their riding experience to a different level, this self-balancing 3-speed scooter is a great choice to explore. It is a 2-wheeled riding device that offers 3 different speeds that can be controlled using the smartphone app. This means that you can make quick and sharp turns, glide smoothly over surfaces, or stop/ start the ride with just a minor movement of your body. The hoverboard is a convenient option for riding if you want something that is less bulky to bring along than a bike, yet capable of going the distance on a single charge of the battery. By riding this scooter, you no longer have to keep it locked up since you can take it with you without any hassle. Once the battery runs out of juice, just charge it at home or at your workplace and get it ready to use again. Bonus features include the built-in speaker, capability to make quick turns, and a fast charging time of 1.5 hours.
The free app that this hoverboard comes with works great. But the only downside of it is how it can quickly drain your phone’s battery with every use. This can be a concern among users who depend on their phone a lot and may not have a backup battery power source for their device. Otherwise, using the app can add to your overall experience throughout the ride, specifically if you are just getting started.
- Has an excellent weight capacity of up to 231 pounds while maintaining a maximum speed of 10 mph.
- The all-terrain wheels allow you to navigate over gravel, grass, and various surfaces without a hassle.
- Maneuvering over sideways and streets can be a breeze, thanks to the independent gyroscopes found on both sides of the hoverboards.
- Comes with rear lights and LED headlights for added visibility when you are on the road.
- While it features a beginner setting, the riding experience is a little tough for newbies who need to work on their balance and coordination.
- The Ride Ready app works great, but it can drain the battery of your phone easily and it is not at all necessary for you to simply ride this scooter.
6. Official Halo Rover UL 2272 Safety Certified Hoverboard
Solid and well-designed, the Halo Rover is a UL-certified hoverboard that can let you go the distance while enjoying the smooth ride. On a single charge, this scooter can travel to a maximum of 10 mph, which should provide a good amount of fun and excitement the whole time. It is a robust riding device that is safe and powerful enough to let you 20-degree hills or even through surfaces that are wet, thanks to its IPX4 water resistance rating. As safety features, this unit has LED headlights that can offer great visibility when you are riding along with cyclists, pedestrians, and motorists on the same terrain. With aluminum wheels and protective guards, you can be confident that your ride is stable and heavy duty enough to keep you safe.
Overall, this is an outstanding hoverboard for its price. However, it can be somewhat concerning that the unit does not come with in-depth guide on how to use this ride. For instance, first-time riders who have no idea on the do’s and don’ts of using a hoverboard may be at a loss when they step on it and start moving. This is why a comprehensive DVD tutorial will be a great help for newbies in using a self-balancing scooter.
- Includes a smartphone app that allows riders to gain total control of their ride by monitoring the distance traveled, speed, and power.
- UL-certfied 2272 to keep your mind at ease each time you cruise around on this hoverboard.
- Capable of going on muddy, sandy, snowy, or various terrains.
- Can by a little tricky to get started with this hoverboard as it does not work at all like a skateboard.
- There is minimal information on how to get started with this ride, and it would be better if there is an instructional DVD included to help beginners.
5.SagaPlay F1 Motorized Self Balancing 2-Wheel Scooter Hover Balance UL 2272/ CSA Certified
A safe and fun ride for teens and adults, this hoverboard offers the experience of a lifetime in eco-friendly and easy riding without safety risks such as fire hazards and other issues. It is a UL 2272 certified self balancing scooter that has passed and met all 159 safety tests, an it is powered by a UL certified 2271 LG smart battery. With its 250-watt dual motors, this hoverboard is capable of climbing 15-degree slopes and allow you to travel for more than an hour on a 9 mile range with just a full single charge of the battery. There are stunning features you will love about this ride such as the anti-slip platform, heavy duty rubber all-terrain tires, and a LED battery indicator. It is also IP56-rated for water resistance and solid quality. You can count on this scooter to let you navigate through sand, mud, and grass, for a more enjoyable ride.
If you are riding this hoverboard for the first time, and you never had any experience with skateboards, it would be best to have someone support you when you get on the platform. It can take some practice to become well-versed with it, even if you are skilled with a skateboard since it does not work the same way. Maintaining your balance is key in achieving perfection with your ride, which you can achieve by simply practicing each day and checking the manual for safety details.
- Has a powerful 250-watt motor on each side, but operates in a silent manner.
- Allows you to go backward, forward, and even spin with just a shift of your body weight.
- Charging the battery only takes 2 hours, which makes it one of the fast-charging hoverboards in the market.
- Although it has all-terrain wheels, it is highly recommended on smoother pavement to prevent toppling over.
- It should take several tries for some people before they can maintain a good balance while on this hoverboard.
4.Self-Balancing 2-Wheel Scooter UL-Certified Electric Hoverboard
For its price, you can never go wrong with this 2-wheel electric self-balancing scooter from XtremePowerUS. It is a solid and sturdy electric hoverboard that is made from the finest materials to ensure its durability. This ride offers an environment-friendly and smooth ride that allows you to cruise around town without having to tow around a bulky or heavy piece of equipment. To make it even better, this hoverboard features a speaker, which means you can listen to your favorite tracks while you zip along and enjoy your ride. Perfect for your commutes, or just whenever you want to go for an easy ride with friends, this self-balancing scooter should be great to feed your craving for some entertainment and adventure. On a single charge, you can expect to have as much as a 3-hour riding time for this hoverboard. As an excellent bonus, this item comes with a carrying bag for your convenience whenever you bring it along anywhere you go.
Unfortunately, it is not too easy to get started in using this hoverboard because it is not self-level. This means that it does not immediately level itself unless you begin to actuate the switch and find your balance while on the platform. Also, if you are particular about maintaining the appearance of this ride, you may consider buying a cover for it as this device may be susceptible to scratches.
- The speaker quality is decent and works well whenever you are cruising on this hoverboard.
- It is a portable and easy-to-store board that is convenient to take with you.
- The battery life is impressive and can last for up to 3 hours on a fully charged battery.
- Although it claims to be self-balancing, it lacks the ability to self-level.
- The speed is not on par with some riders’ standards because it tends to be a bit slow for them.
- There is a tendency for it to get scratched up to easily, so buying a cover may be necessary for maximum protection.
3.SpadgerUL 2272 Certified Self Balancing Scooter with Bluetooth
A guaranteed UL-Certified hoverboard, the Spadger electric scooter is 100 percent safe to use to give you an exhilarating and fun ride anytime and anywhere. It has passed the safety standards, so there are no worries when it comes to riding this cool self-balancing scooter. It offers a maximum speed of 7 mph, which should suffice in giving you an enjoyable cruise along the streets. The tires are durable and heavy duty, and these can handle go through any type of terrain. As part of its smart features, this device comes with gyro sensors that are professionally calibrated. This makes it possible for you to remain stable and balanced while on the platform. What’s more, there is a non-slip rubber footbed that can give you a steady footing while on the hoverboard. Audiophiles will also enjoy zipping and gliding as they listen to their favorite hits because this board comes with Bluetooth wireless speaker, which can be linked to the smartphone.
Charging may take a tad longer for this board, as it can go a little over 2 hours. But once the battery is fully charged, you should be able to enjoy more than an hour of cruising on this eco-friendly and smooth gliding hoverboard. Just a little note, though – it’s a bit heavy at 24 pounds. This may be make it somewhat tough to carry around for some people. The good thing about the heft, however, is you can be sure it’s a sturdy board that should last for a long time.
- Comes with LED lights for safety and aesthetic purposes.
- The Bluetooth wireless speaker is integrated into the unit for your music listening pleasure.
- It’s a durable hoverboard that does not get easily scratched up.
- It is quite heavy and some people may have a difficult time lugging it around.
- May take a while for beginners to get a hang of this board.
2.SWAGTRON T6 Off-Road Electric Hoverboard
The main selling point of this hoverboard is its great maximum weight capacity, which is at 420 pounds. In fact, it is the first and only self-balancing scooter that has this maximum weight limit, which speaks so much of its durability and solid construction. It’s an all-terrain kind of a hoverboard, so you can easily work your way through gravel, rain, grass, and mud. You can even roll over 30-degree hills and bumps without a glitch. With a total speed of 12 mph, this should be perfect for adrenaline junkies who want to explore on a new ride. Made with 10-inch tubeless dual rugged tires, you can count on this hoverboard to take all the beating while you have an amazing ride all the time. It is also IPX4-rated, which means it can handle puddles of water. The ABS plastic material for the interior keeps the inner components of this device protected from damages.
Just something worth noting about this hoverboard. It is best to stick with the low pressures if you’re a newbie riding on pavement, ideally 20 to 50 psi. This will give you an easier and smoother ride while you are still learning the ropes. Opting for higher pressure when you cruise on hard surfaces requires more advanced skill. Also, the tire pressure is not too easy to set with this board. It takes some patience in finding the appropriate nozzle, so this can be a little inconvenient for some riders.
- Uses Bluetooth speakers to let you rock out on your top hits while riding.
- The heavy-duty all terrain tires also come with rugged tread patterns for maximum traction, power, and grip.
- It’s easy to check the battery life because of the indicator built into the unit.
- It takes up to 3 hours to charge the battery, which can be a bit of a long wait for others.
- The Swagtron T6 is quite pricey.
1.TOMOLOO Black Hoveroard with Smartphone App, RGB lights, and Bluetooth Speaker (UL 2272 Certified)
Your safety is guaranteed each time you step on this hoverboard from TOMOLOO as it is CPSC-approvd and UL 2272-certified for your protection. It is a high quality electric hoverboard that uses a sophisticated mainboard program, which keeps you stable while standing on the platform. The maximum speed this electric scooter can give you is up to 8 mph, and it offers a total mileage of 12 miles. As for the maximum weight limit, it’s at 264 pounds. While you cruise on this ride, you will like how silent it operates. It even has 8 RGB bright lights in the tire’s front and the board’s body (4 on each side), so that adds to your protection when you ride in dim light conditions.
If you prefer to have this hoverboard in another color other than black, then you may be disappointed to know that there’s no other color options available. But for its build, design, and performance, the color should not even matter because of what this spectacular ride can give. It is truly a must-have for those who want to try something new and perhaps even perform some tricks that this hoverboard can do.
- Includes an app control to let you set your preferred steering sensitivity, driving force, and speed.
- Comes fully charged after 2 hours, and it can last up to 3 days for some people (depending on the speed and distance).
- The Bluetooth speaker and the lights add to every rider’s overall experience with this hoverboard.
- If you are a first-timer to hoverboards, it is best to ride slowly otherwise you may just fall and hurt yourself.
- It only comes in one color (black), which may be a limitation for some buyers.
Buying Guide on Hoverboards
Now that you know more about the available hoverboards in the market that are worth considering for your purchase, it’s best to understand what to look for when shopping for this cool new ride. Always remember that when buying an electric hoverboard, you need to pay attention to a few important factors that will guide you towards the right item to purchase. Here’s our buying guide on to help you get started:
1. Check the materials and components
When purchasing your very first hoverboard, you need to first have a sense of the product’s materials and different components. The housing material or frame should be highly durable, and it makes sense to choose metal instead of plastic for the wheels. The sensors and internal motors should also be in place, and you are better off with a ride that uses sophisticated programs for these features to ensure your satisfaction with the board’s performance.
This is a bit tricky to measure since the overall range usually depends on the incline, your weight, the speed, and the kind of terrain you’re riding on. However, most hoverboard models have a maximum range of 2 hours or 10 to 15 miles when you cruise along a flat surface. There are also others that offer a 20-mile total range. Once again, it’s all impacted by the terrain and the rider’s weight.
There’s plenty of speed to like about hoverboards, and it depends from one model to another. Most, however, can provide a maximum speed of 10 mph while others can even go higher than that. As for the slow speeds, it can be at around 2 mph, and this should be good for beginners who are still having a feel of this self-balancing scooter.
4. Charging Time
Naturally, you would want a hoverboard that offers a faster charging time so you can get on your ride as quickly as possible. There are boards that take only 1.5 hours to charge completely, and there are those with about 2 to 3 hours of charging time. The battery life also depends on various factors such as the speed and distance. For the most part, a continuous usage of the hoverboard should be good for up to an hour or a little over an hour on a single charge.
Check for the UL 2272 certified logo on the hoverboard since this is a strong evidence that the device is free from safety hazards. Moreover, you may want to get one with LED lights that add to the ride’s safety, particularly when you’re cruising on dark or dim light conditions. Aside from serving an aesthetic purpose, lights can notify motorists or pedestrians if you’re sharing the road with them.
6. Go for the original
Always buy from reliable sellers of hoverboards. As much as possible, steer clear from knockoffs since you’re only putting yourself at risk of wasting your time, money, and even potential accidents form buying low-quality self-balancing scooters. By going for original and trusted brands, you don’t have to deal with various issues including less sensitive gyros, weaker motors, shorter battery life, and even fire hazards caused by batteries. This is why reading reviews and learning from actual product users can guide you further in choosing the best hoverboard that will give you an excellent value for your money.